Making a yeast starter for a lager

GTip

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am going to brew my first lager and I am using 2206 lager liquid yeast in a smackpack. The recipe calls for making a starter and haven't done this before, I have stored my yeast in the fridge since it came. When I make a starter with it do i bring the yeast up to room temp and leave it for a few days at room temp or do i bring the starter wort down to lagering temp and put it in the fridge for a week after I add the yeast? Thanks.

I am going to brew my first lager and I am using 2206 lager liquid yeast in a smackpack. The recipe calls for making a starter and haven't done this before, I have stored my yeast in the fridge since it came. When I make a starter with it do i bring the yeast up to room temp and leave it for a few days at room temp or do i bring the starter wort down to lagering temp and put it in the fridge for a week after I add the yeast? Thanks.
You can make your lager starter at room temperature

You can make a starter if you want, but it's not necessary. I smack mine 3-4 hours before I'll be pitching it. Even the one and only time the pack failed to swell, it still worked fine.

The yeast will multiply faster at higher temp , I will build them up at 5-8 °C higher than ferment temps , chill and decant spent wort and only pitch the yeast slurry

I throw my starters on a diy stir plate supposed to get double the growth spinning them. I also overbuild starter to pinch some for next brew I also pitch the whole starter into brew. Good,luck Gtip

Back