Parti-Gyle

What's it called refractometer yep that'll give ya almost instant gravity reading then just measure wort collected

I would like the ability to be able to calculate my 1st runnings beer and then get a 2nd runnings also.

I know what you mean. I agree this would be a nice feature too but would be fairly complicated to do in software and leave other portion of recipe calculator uncluttered. If you brew quite a bit you probably know approx. what the first runnings are going to be anyway. That should give you an idea of how it will come out. To change this just make a thicker or thinner mash. If I am creating a big beer with first runnings I always sparge (second runnings) and add a little malt extract for a smaller beer to go with it. Just create a recipe with the same gravity as second runnings and add extract to hit the gravity you want.

I like that the calculator gives you a pre boil Gravity estimate based on your grain bill and mash volume. I thought Parti gyle was for priming bottled beer with saved unfermented wort and adding that to bottling bucket?

I would like to be able to formulate receipes with a parti-gyle mash, 3 runnings and be able to calculate efficiency.

The closest I came (from calculating efficiency on 2 runnings):
1) Create a master recipe which will be your first runnings based on your average no sparge efficiency (say 60-65%)
2) copy to a new recipe which will be your 2nd runnings with an assumed efficiency of 25-35% (both combined should be <100% max)

I suppose you could keep going with a 3rd runnings and do something like 60/30/10. Just like any brewing technique it will take a few run throughs to figure out how your system will behave.

I've also calculated 3 different beers from different mixes of 2 runnings but that's probably too complicated/confusing to be worth typing out.

Back