Filtering

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Looks like my statement in another thread might be a bit outdated. I thought that filtering was impractical for a homebrewer. I found this today. Very intriguing. Does anyone do this? Pluses? Minuses? If I do this, I think I'd use a new filter for every batch.

HomeBrewStuff 10" Beer Filtration Kit with Ball Lock Fittings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00420OIT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VMa.xbCJ5ENKP

In that other thread Jeff Ozark's was saying it removes a little flavour. Gelitin and cold storage for me jeff :p.
I like to try and keep it simple the more gadgets and gizmos the more cleaning and repair. But a nice crystal clear frothy beer wins hands down every time:D.
Looks like my statement in another thread might be a bit outdated. I thought that filtering was impractical for a homebrewer. I found this today. Very intriguing. Does anyone do this? Pluses? Minuses? If I do this, I think I'd use a new filter for every batch.

HomeBrewStuff 10" Beer Filtration Kit with Ball Lock Fittings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00420OIT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VMa.xbCJ5ENKP

Last edited:
Oops. Toward the end of that post. I see that now. I'd still be interested in input from others. Lots of breweries filter. Why? But more importantly, would most homebrewers consider filtering not to be worth the effort, as OMB feels?

Yep, gelatin and cold storage clear up most beers.

Oops. Toward the end of that post. I see that now. I'd still be interested in input from others. Lots of breweries filter. Why? But more importantly, would most homebrewers consider filtering not to be worth the effort, as OMB feels?
Filtering is the quick, very consistent and reliable way to make sure every single batch is crystal clear. That's very important to mass-producers who need to pump out thousands of gallons every day and have every batch identical. It also removes all yeast so the beer is dead stable and that helps it to keep for a very long shelf life - also important for the big boys.
I'm with Trialben (I agreed with an Aussie?? :eek:), I like it simple and natural. Beer with life and character; truly the product of my own handycraft :)

Filtering is the quick, very consistent and reliable way to make sure every single batch is crystal clear. That's very important to mass-producers who need to pump out thousands of gallons every day and have every batch identical. It also removes all yeast so the beer is dead stable and that helps it to keep for a very long shelf life - also important for the big boys.
I'm with Trialben (I agreed with an Aussie?? :eek:), I like it simple and natural. Beer with life and character; truly the product of my own handycraft :)
And we'll there won't be any excuses for the beer belly:p.

I don't cold crash, and I don't do gelatin. I do keg and from then on, it's cold. Many of my beers come out very clear. I'm not concerned enough about the issue to change my process, really. I'm just intrigued by the process of filtering, and wondering how many people do it. I think I'd try it if a lot of people did it.

Danger, Will Robinson...if using any paper filter, carbon or not when filtering beer, it will mold the filter after any air contacts it, even if you clean out the filter right after using it and let it dry, it will mildew, too much sugar gets trapped inside the filter, also after years of testing a true 1 micron filter is too fine and will clog 1/4 way through and strip flavor away a 5 micron doesn't do much of anything except hold anything loose like hops back and a combination 5m outside 1m inside core is sorta the compromise but still clogs, a 3 micron filter seems to be the best for not clogging and filtering beer well. More beer is the only place I found these "years ago"

getting away from paper filters I have a stainless steal filter where you can add different mesh stainless steal
screens, this filtering system is the only one Ive used that cleaned up properly and didn't mildew and can be reused but its not curently set up for filtering finished beer yet, thats something I need to try

Back