Spigot/Tap for Igloo Cooler?

Thurston Brewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I would like to replace the original spigot on my 5 gallon Igloo cooler mash tun with one that has a turn valve (so I don't have to hold the damned button for half an hour) and with a spout that I can attach a vinyl tube to.

Anybody have suggestions where I can get such a thing? Is there a conversion kit available?

When I first went along the lines of mashing in cooler that's the set up GPA put forward. Hit up ya local home brew store I'm sure they will have something there to get you sorted thirsty;)

I used half inch threaded rod 2 half inch silicon washers 2half inch brass or stainless washers and a ball valve sorted. Half the fun is building em I recon

Reactions: GPA
When I first went along the lines of mashing in cooler that's the set up GPA put forward. Hit up ya local home brew store I'm sure they will have something there to get you sorted thirsty;)

I used half inch threaded rod 2 half inch silicon washers 2half inch brass or stainless washers and a ball valve sorted. Half the fun is building em I recon
After 25 years as a auto tech love building crap !!!

Sarcasm font there GPA ? Most techs I know avoid doing related jobs unless there's a pay cheque involved ...

I worked for Lexus for a few years and most of our guys were driving cars that leaked oil and needed a tune up

lol Mark very true, the old saying the shoemakers son goes shoeless, ,I hate working on cars now.. but I do like to engineer and build things I already have some ideas kickin around for brewing equipment, I'll share if i. come up with anything
Right now im trying to figure out what im going to make next , maybe something British and brown , or the wifey does like cream ales any suggestions ? Only extract for now until i can afford the upgrade :(

When i started out working on dirty , greasy farm equipment / heavy trucks i hated every second on the tools , i do however love being able to fix something that nobody else could .
these days i get comments about how clean my workshop is , saw dust is easy to get off at end of the day so just lucky me for having multiple trades !
i fabricate the equipment and jigging i need but never seem to have the time to make much for myself .

i did make a quick bottle washer that takes 16 bottles , can run mains cold / hot water through it then pump Star-san through and recover it for future use

lol Mark very true, the old saying the shoemakers son goes shoeless, ,I hate working on cars now.. but I do like to engineer and build things I already have some ideas kickin around for brewing equipment, I'll share if i. come up with anything
Right now im trying to figure out what im going to make next , maybe something British and brown , or the wifey does like cream ales any suggestions ? Only extract for now until i can afford the upgrade :(
Just took a sample of that vanilla cream ale I'm fermenting at the moment and it smells Delish plenty of vanilla on the nose. You could use a light extract kit with this. I chopped up 4 vanilla pods soaked in vodka whilst primary fermentation was under way dumped vanilla in yesterday. Chuck that with a light Pilsn type extract should work but then again I don't do extract. Easy way for you GPA to dive into all grain is to get a grain bag and do small batches on big pot on stove I sure that's how Mark is doing it.

That's how I'm doing it. You can't say its too hard or your can't until you try. And when you fail, you learn and do better. Much more fun the extract. I feel more accomplished and I feel like its truly my beer rather then what someone pre made for me to use.

When i started out working on dirty , greasy farm equipment / heavy trucks i hated every second on the tools , i do however love being able to fix something that nobody else could .
these days i get comments about how clean my workshop is , saw dust is easy to get off at end of the day so just lucky me for having multiple trades !
i fabricate the equipment and jigging i need but never seem to have the time to make much for myself .

i did make a quick bottle washer that takes 16 bottles , can run mains cold / hot water through it then pump Star-san through and recover it for future use
Totally understand the greasy mess..hate it. I'm like you Mark very handy. I raced for years and know my way around a machine shop and welding equipment, and have a pretty well equipped shop, very excited about building a nice brewing rig . I have been looking into the bag brewing method seems simple enough. I have been reading your post on the vanilla cream ale that's what got me thinking about my next batch .

That's how I'm doing it. You can't say its too hard or your can't until you try. And when you fail, you learn and do better. Much more fun the extract. I feel more accomplished and I feel like its truly my beer rather then what someone pre made for me to use.
I am going to give it a go, I have an 8 gallon brew pot can I do a 5 gallon full boil in that or do you think I should split it ?

Opps lost track of who posted what!

Trailben it was your Vanilla Cream ale My Apology sorry :(

I am going to give it a go, I have an 8 gallon brew pot can I do a 5 gallon full boil in that or do you think I should split it ?
You can do the 5 gallon boil. My boil pot is 5 gallons exactly so it limits me to about 4 gallons. But I generally add water at the end in the fermenting bucket

You can do the 5 gallon boil. My boil pot is 5 gallons exactly so it limits me to about 4 gallons. But I generally add water at the end in the fermenting bucket
Great thanks the quicker I get out of the kitchen the better lol wifey gets less irritated :p

Great thanks the quicker I get out of the kitchen the better lol wifey gets less irritated :p
Haha yeah every time I tell her how long brewing will take it generally takes a few hours more so she gets frustrated. She knows I enjoy it so as long as I clean up she's perfectly happy! A new brew store opened near me as well. 15 minutes away vs. 30 min. Hopefully it will stay in business.

Yeah as long as I clean up and it doesn't interfere too much she's good with it ..... for now...

Back