Fan of Craft Beer

Joshua Peterson

Trial Member
Reaction score
Born and raised in Wyoming, travelled around quite a bit .... love hand crafted brew, failed twice at making my own!

Well me old mate consider yourself in good hands in this brewing community. We got ya covered. Can ya tell I've had a few brews yep I'll call em craft beers ;).

Thank you buddy! ...... I just now sent off for a couple more kits, hopefully i get to the bottling stage and the enjoyment part this next time around!

Nice hops what verity?
I still don't know what my Pop's Hops are yet, maybe next year i will remember to get a sample and have it sent off!

Let us know when your getting ready to brew and I'm sure the guys on this forum will be happy to steer you in the right direction. My advise cleanliness is next to godliness that applies to everything brewing you want to keep them nasties (wild yeast) out of your brew. Good luck

Thanks buddy!

I tried an Oktoberfest kit at the beginning of the year, thought there was still too much San Star in the carboy before i racked it.... something ended up floating in there and ruining it.... lesson learned there! Just tried making a American Wheat using my first SmackPak .... and the 3 piece Air Lock got clogged while i was at work and the lid blew off.

I got a better lid & hose set up this time, and another kit.... gonna try again today! Hopefully i make it to the bottling stage this time!

Thanks buddy!

I tried an Oktoberfest kit at the beginning of the year, thought there was still too much San Star in the carboy before i racked it.... something ended up floating in there and ruining it.... lesson learned there! Just tried making a American Wheat using my first SmackPak .... and the 3 piece Air Lock got clogged while i was at work and the lid blew off.

I got a better lid & hose set up this time, and another kit.... gonna try again today! Hopefully i make it to the bottling stage this time!
That's some vigorous fermentation you've got there Joshua. I suppose there ain't a lot of headspace left in them carboys after you drop 5.5 gal of wort into them. I brew in a 30lt bucket doing 23lt brews so plenty of head space I don't have to watch for blow offs. Brewing today too! My boil calls for vanilla extract and store don't open till 9 here so I think my mash is going to be extended till opening time 2 hour mash ah well conversion should be complete :p.

I learned real fast that blowing all your yeast out the airlock or hose causes bad attenuation and the final gravity will suffer making a sweet beer, for that reason I always have a least a gallon head space in my fermenter, some times more

I know it! :) My bucket is a 6 1/2 gallon, and i stuck 5 gallons of a kinda heavy, honey wheat wort in there both times (same recipe)
Think i'll give up on buckets and just use carboys from here on out as much as i can.

Last edited:
Just racked it into the carboy, its a bit on the sweet side still but it tastes like beer!

Just racked it into the carboy, its a bit on the sweet side still but it tastes like beer!
What you racked already you transferring to secondary? It should have a bit left to go eh? I'm using that sandiego super yeast supposed to be fast fermenting and it's just slowly bubbling now day 5 I think it is.

Had the larger hose in the bucket lid this time, it had a furious start from the use of a Wyeast SmackPak again..... once it calmed down i switched the lid to a standard S airlock while it finished off..... Then it didn't bubble once for the past two days and the liquid in the S air lock leveled out. Figured it was time, it's fermenting again really well in the secondary. I tasted what was left in the bucket after racking and it was a bit a sweet, about like an Amber Ale almost, and it tasted like beer?

Had the larger hose in the bucket lid this time, it had a furious start from the use of a Wyeast SmackPak again..... once it calmed down i switched the lid to a standard S airlock while it finished off..... Then it didn't bubble once for the past two days and the liquid in the S air lock leveled out. Figured it was time, it's fermenting again really well in the secondary. I tasted what was left in the bucket after racking and it was a bit a sweet, about like an Amber Ale almost, and it tasted like beer?
Your doing well Joshua and it sounds like your having a win mate!;)
My vanilla cream ale is about all fermented out 1.016 it was yesterday evening it started at 1.064 so I'm expecting Maybe 1.012 for finish anything lower will be a bonus. Will pitch in my vodka vanilla extract today it smells heavenly I'm hoping it carries through to the glass.

Thanks buddy! .... hopefully i make it to the bottling stage & the enjoying part!
I'm swigging on a Hoegaarden at the moment, maybe in five years i can get into some Holiday spiced brew that has that haze and yeast that people enjoy!
Heck yeah Pal, that sounds outstanding! Vanilla has always been a favorite of mine! Let me know how it turns out buddy!

Thanks buddy! .... hopefully i make it to the bottling stage & the enjoying part!
I'm swigging on a Hoegaarden at the moment, maybe in five years i can get into some Holiday spiced brew that has that haze and yeast that people enjoy!
Heck yeah Pal, that sounds outstanding! Vanilla has always been a favorite of mine! Let me know how it turns out buddy!
Hoegarden they do that blue moon brew that's one of my favourite drinking glasses they do a wheat beer yea?
Na five years more like next brew bud:p ask around put the thread up in the recipes section the blokes here will help,you craft it for sure.

Back