Robust porter

Jimsal

Trial Member
Reaction score
would like to know what people think about this recipe. I'm dying to create my own recipe and would like feedback. Here goes
70% efficiency
11 lbs 2 row
1 lb chocolate
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb special b
3/4 biscuit
1 lb crystal malt 40l
Nottingham yeast.

1.3 Kent Golding 60 min
.6 Fuggle 30 min
.5 oz Kent Golding flameout
.4 oz Fuggle flameout

Love to know what you all think.

That looks like it'd be good. If I were to change anything, I might not have so many flame out additions. Hops aren't the showcase of the style. But, you might have the IBUs you need with that schedule, so what do I know

Reactions: J A
That looks like it'd be good. If I were to change anything, I might not have so many flame out additions. Hops aren't the showcase of the style. But, you might have the IBUs you need with that schedule, so what do I know

I'd think you'd want the bitterness to offset the malt sweetness of the beer but not the malt flavor. In other words, drop the late hops and stick with the 60 and 30 minute additions.

Thanks Jm and nosy bear. I'm gonna take your advice. Good point on hops not being the the showcase in porters. I'll let you know how it works out. I ordered the ingredients yesterday. Hope to brew it next weekend.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    591.1 KB · Views: 154
Jm and nosy bear. I made the porter tastes great. Thanks for your input.

I thought notthingam yeast to but it's gives too attenuation for a porter
I prefer a London esb or a less dry finish yeast
The picture make me thirsty What about the body?

You're very welcome and that, sir, is a good looking beer!

I thought notthingam yeast to but it's gives too attenuation for a porter
I prefer a London esb or a less dry finish yeast
The picture make me thirsty What about the body?
Surprisingly the beer finished lower then I wanted at 1007. But it didn't really affect the body. Interesting point you bring up about the esb yeast. Something for me to consider.

I'll have a robust porter done in a few weeks - it was in the fermentor last Friday. I'm putting a VERY light dry hop in this evening (1/4 ounce for five gallons, in contact with beer for three days).

Let us know how that turns out. I was thinking about adding some more hops. But jm pointed out hops aren't the showcase in a porter. I took his advise. Glad I did. Mine turned out great. Best beer i made so far. Curious how yours turns out tho.

Back