Beano Brew

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Reading around on the web about yeasts fermentation and enzymes in the wort and how they effect fermentation. I came across and articulate on enzymes in the fermentor at www.braukaiser.com. He compared a test batch split three ways one custom and two experimental batches one batch had a beano tablet add and the resultant attenuation reached was around 85%. So I thought I might share this info on here and also see if anyone here has tried adding beano tablets to their brews to increase attenuation and lower carbohydrates??

Beano enzyme:Wikipedia .
Beano is an enzyme-based dietary supplement that is used to reduce gas in the digestive tract, thereby improving digestion and reducing bloating, discomfort, and flatulence caused by gas. It contains the enzyme alpha-galactosidase (α-GAL). It was introduced as a liquid, but that has been discontinued and it is now available only as tablets and strawberry-flavored "Meltaways".

Use in brewing
Simple sugars are also produced as a consequence of the malting process that eventually produces beer. The complex sugars are not broken down by the yeast, and are eventually consumed by the beer drinker, possibly causing flatulence. Homebrewers have found adding Beano to their brew may produce a beer that has a less malty flavor.[13] The Beano breaks the complex sugars into simple sugars, and these simple sugars are consumed by the yeast, producing alcohol (or some acetic acid in the aerobic reactions in early fermentation).

you have to be careful with enzymes, some will cause the yeast to just keep eating until your gravity is 1.000 and thats not a good drinking beer, yes it has more alcohol but the taste trade off if not worth it, "in my opinion" I have a true low calorie lite beer using enzymes but it also has carapils to bring back some body thats been tripped away

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/400497/lite-beer

Calories per 12oz 93.1

Last edited:
Think about next time the yeast decide to stall out before complete attenuation I'd slip half a beano tablet crushed into the brew that may re start fermentation by releasing fermentable sugars to yeast!

Think about next time the yeast decide to stall out before complete attenuation I'd slip half a beano tablet crushed into the brew that may re start fermentation by releasing fermentable sugars to yeast!

If fermentation is really stalled, there's still fermentable sugar in there, your problem is something else. I'd be very cautious using enzymes but hey, let us know how your experiment turns out!

Back