Russian Imperial Stout Recipe Critique

WildHighlander

Trial Member
Reaction score
So my Brother-in-law got a lot of free grain from a friend so we thought we would brew something from it, just to see if it's any good. From the List of grains he got, I thought a RIS would be great, with maybe a Porter or Dark Mild off the 2nd Runnings. Anyway, here is the recipe I came up with. Wanted to get some feedback. I will be making an Old Ale and a Northern Brown in a couple of weeks so I thought we would use the yeast cake from that to ferment this beast.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: #13 RIS

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Russian Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.078
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.106
Final Gravity: 1.024
ABV (alternate): 12%
IBU (tinseth): 78.5
SRM (morey): 50

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (55.6%)
3 lb - United Kingdom - Munich (12.8%)
2 lb - American - Vienna (8.6%)
1 lb - German - Carafa I (4.3%)
14 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 30L (3.7%)
14 oz - American - Chocolate (3.7%)
14 oz - American - Roasted Barley (3.7%)
14 oz - Belgian - Special B (3.7%)
8 oz - United Kingdom - Black Patent (2.1%)
6 oz - Belgian - Biscuit (1.6%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Northern Brewer, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 48.91
1.75 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 18.09
1.5 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 10.99
0.5 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 2 min, IBU: 0.51

YEAST:
Wyeast - Thames Valley Ale 1275
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 77%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 62 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 2.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Double Infusion, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 12.08 qt of water at 135.0 F 122.0 F
30 min Saccrification Add 12.08 qt of water at 203.4 F 158.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 10.35 qt of water at 194.4 F 168.0 F

This recipe has been published online at:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/402588/-13-ris

that looks like it'll have a lot going on in the malt department.

never brewed a RIS before, but it seems odd to me that there's 4 different black malts in there

that looks like it'll have a lot going on in the malt department.

never brewed a RIS before, but it seems odd to me that there's 4 different black malts in there

RIS are/can be very complex beers. This is from Nick Carr at kegerator.com
http://learn.kegerator.com/russian-imperial-stout/

Start with a high quality 2-row pale ale base malt. If working toward authenticity, stick with European malts such as Maris Otter, Weyermann, or Crisp. After you have the foundation you can begin to play. Your guiding standard should be complexity. Layer in complexity by using two, three, four, or five malts within each family — especially the roasted grains because this is where much of the chocolate, coffee, and roast come from.

Easily 20% of the brewing malts in your grain bill should come from these dark and roasted malts. Adjunct malts such as flaked oats or specialty malts, like Special B, can also be used to increase mouthfeel and depth of flavor. It’s a big beer and can easily hold up to some experimentation.

I'd caution on complexity: There's a fine line between complex and just murky brown. One of the best professional brewers I know had the following rule of thumb: Five malts, three hops, no more.

I'm leaning towards reducing my good recipes to as few ingredients as possible, 2 or 3 and just 2 hops, breweries do it all the time

I love RIS !!
I'm with nosy on kitchen sink approach. If it were mine, Id pull the crystal 30,carafa I,and vienna, and switch to drk chocolate malt and hit it with crystal 120 (roast,dark toffee) I also like golden naked oats in my RIS gives that chewy carmel mouthfeel . But in the end its your beer -brew your way :) and adjust.

Its probably too late, but I found huge mistake in calcs, youre about to use yeast with 10% abv tolerance in the 12%target beer. Unless you want it super malt sweet I would reccomend to reconsider the yeast.

Back