Kegging Question

Reebman1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, not sure if this is the appropriate forum but will try it...

Thinking about going to a keg or two at some point in the not-to-distant future and was wanting to get some opinions (advice) on the best way to go. I have very limited (read: no :-/) knowledge about them or how its done, etc. I simply know it seems that kegging would sure beat bottling by a long shot!

Some of you that do use kegs, where is the best place to pick them up, cheap - of course! Then, talk to me about what other equipment I would need in order to do this. Thanks... :mrgreen:

Fortunately, I'm close enough to the physical place of cornykeg.com. Saved myself some money buying from them instead of my LHBS. And that's where they get them! Good people there. Give them a call.

I recently got a kegerator and 2 corny kegs from kegerator.com. Pretty decent sale on the kegerator, but the kegs at my lhbs were actually $20 cheaper. Oh well

The one issue was that it came with a Sankey coupler, think like your normal keg tap. But, the corny keg has a different hookup. So, maybe 20 bucks in parts and 10 mins of work and I switched out that stuff.

About 18 bucks total to get the 2.5 lb co2 tank filled.

The unit itself is very nice. Super compact, digital thermostat. And it very snugly fits my fermentor bucket and carboy for lagering. Can't do that and serve beer at the same time but nice little bonus

I kegged 10 gallons last weekend and it took me longer to disassemble, clean and sanitizer the kegs than it did for me to transfer the beer. Had some of it carbed up enough that night to have a little glass. Muuuch better the next day. And the next

I'll still bottle for small or test batches. Gotta keep a good variety going since there's only one tap too

Also, I had very little idea how all of it worked. But from reading a bit here and other places helped. There was a little to put together with the one I got, really just the serving tower. The regulator and most fittings were done already. Really, if you can hook up a propane tank and grill, you can do this

a couple of things to note when building a new keg system of any size, always use Teflon tape on any threaded joint, always cinch down any hose clamps tight, regularly wash or soak your ball lock liquid disconnects they accumulate sticky beer goo and if not properly cleaned can stick and cause a massive leak in your freezer. when cleaning kegs depress the popit valve to release the old beer that leads to beer stink :D

jeffpn said:
Fortunately, I'm close enough to the physical place of cornykeg.com. Saved myself some money buying from them instead of my
LHBS. And that's where they get them! Good people there. Give them a call.

I think I'm just up the road from you in south Montgomery Co...and that's a great idea! When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'll come check them out... :mrgreen:

Reebman1 said:
jeffpn said:
Fortunately, I'm close enough to the physical place of cornykeg.com. Saved myself some money buying from them instead of my
LHBS. And that's where they get them! Good people there. Give them a call.

I think I'm just up the road from you in south Montgomery Co...and that's a great idea! When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'll come check them out... :mrgreen:
Small world! I live in Beavercreek. My LHBS is Brewtensils. Yours too, I'm sure. You are welcome to stop by and see what I have.

Since there's no private message function here, hit me up at Facebook dawt comm slash jeffpn.

I just recently completed my keezer project. I pieced my system together using Kegconnection.com, Ebay, Northern Brewer, Amazon and my local Lowes store. I attached a photo (I hope it uploads). My LBHS does bottle exchanges for $30 for 5# bottle and if you don't have one to exchange then they charge $99 for the first bottle. I bought my bottle from Amazon for $64 and had my local fire extinguisher maintenance business fill the CO2 for $15. A little bit of savings. I definitely like moving to kegging and my first one came out really good. My neighbors said it tastes good and like the tap in the garage.

Keep on Brew'n!

Attachments

• IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 230
Small world! I live in Beavercreek. My LHBS is Brewtensils. Yours too, I'm sure. You are welcome to stop by and see what I have.
Only took 9 months, but he finally did!! :D

Back