Sparge/recirculation arms

I just use a piece of silicone hose and keep about 2cm of liquid above the mash when fly sparging. This is with HERMS so always recirculating. No issue at all with channeling, but that may be due to the Mash Tun and False bottom. It's a Bilchman kettle that has a ledge and the false bottom has that coin shaped knockout design so it's a bit different.

I have one of those for aerating wort. Unfortunately I haven't found a mounting system that allows it to suspend vertically over the mash tun
If you could find/build a perforated screen (maybe a colander) you might be able to leave a hose slowly running over it and it would disperse the liquid across your mash - think similar to the screen that goes over the grain on the Brewzilla.... Just thinking out load here - not sure it makes sense to anyone without the picture that's in my brain :) lol

so my solution is a 3/8" hose with a stainless steel blichmannengineering float ball around it twice keeping it floating above the grain attached to a blichmann ball valve

KILLER! It sparges with nothing but water so there isn't anything to clean... especially since it pre-boil. Plus isn't 30 seconds at 171 sanitization temperature?
Well, it fly sparges with recirc wort, so it does get dirty. But hot pbw wash after the boil cleans it up

Well, it fly sparges with recirc wort, so it does get dirty. But hot pbw wash after the boil cleans it up
How do the spray nozzles do with bits of grain? I use a pretty small crush, so there's definitely particles going through my recirculation arm

I just searched Mash Tun sprayer on amazon
Amazon in Canada is very different from USA. I found it on Morebeer. I have a friend that I see a couple times a month from Niagara Falls NY, I will ask him to order it for me.

I do similar with that stainless flex hose kegland sell and return to top of mash usually the liquid line is a couple inches above the grain bed.
Screenshot_20240129_112357_Gallery.jpg

My Diy malt pipe (stainless pot with holes drilled in bottom and angle grinded cuts half way up makes the wort flow donw and through the bed it can't spill over the side unless the flow backs up.

Love Minbari 's sparge idea.

Last edited:
How do the spray nozzles do with bits of grain? I use a pretty small crush, so there's definitely particles going through my recirculation arm
I have my crush set to .022", so pretty small as well. rarely get clogged, BUT I rarely get much grain in it either.

if you do, a tooth pick while it is running clears it,

I have my crush set to .022", so pretty small as well. rarely get clogged, BUT I rarely get much grain in it either.

if you do, a tooth pick while it is running clears it,
Funny, I don't sell al lot of it, but we do have and sell loc line. It is very common for lubricating fluids on metal lathes, CNC's, and for compressed air for blowing off parts on a production line.

Funny, I don't sell al lot of it, but we do have and sell loc line. It is very common for lubricating fluids on metal lathes, CNC's, and for compressed air for blowing off parts on a production line.
I think that is what they were designed for, really. it does work really well for this too :D

I see. Not just sparging but recirculating too. That would get dirty then - and sticky. PBW wash for sure!

I think that is what they were designed for, really. it does work really well for this too :D
The loc line wouldn't work for me I recirculate through the center hole in the glass lid (Brewzilla).
The flexi arm I will be using is quite a bit longer than the one pictured below.
Not sure what that red attachment is, just copied a picture form the Interwebs.
The flexi arm will make it easy for me to adjust the height above the mash as needed.
I ordered the flex arm ($9.99US), and 2 wort spreaders ($3.99 EA/US) from Morebeer today to ship to my buddy's house in Niagara Falls NY, should have them here in time for my next brew day. I may use one of them when transferring to fermenter as well.

@Sunfire96 the flexi arm might work for you, it is about 31" long

1706550426413.png

1706550665780.png

The loc line wouldn't work for me I recirculate through the center hole in the glass lid (Brewzilla).
The flexi arm I will be using is quite a bit longer than the one pictured below.
The flexi arm will make it easy for me to adjust the height above the mash as needed.
I ordered the flex arm ($9.99US), and 2 wort spreaders ($3.99 EA/US) from Morebeer today to ship to my buddy's house in Niagara Falls NY, should have them here in time for my next brew day. I may use one of them when transferring to fermenter as well.

View attachment 28235
View attachment 28237
Only thing I don't like about those sprayer heads. you need a good amount of pressure to work. otherwise it is like putting your finger 1/2" in front of a garden hose. just goes around it

Only thing I don't like about those sprayer heads. you need a good amount of pressure to work. otherwise it is like putting your finger 1/2" in front of a garden hose. just goes around it
If that is the case I will make some kind of modification ;)

View attachment 28235
View attachment 28237
Yeah that red thing is keglands new CIP thing it doesn't take much pump pressure to work apparently you could almost use that to distribute the wort back randomly ontop of the mash.

Back