What are you drinking right now?

image.jpg
Smooth Stout with some fresh garden salad and leftover roast pork and potatoes for lunch after working in the yard.

I didn’t want to make it too complex, and from my research I was dissuaded from using roasted barley. This has a good hop bitterness.
Just this past weekend, I joined a local brewers club, and will take 1 or 2 bottles of my stout to share at the next meeting on Monday. My wife tells me it’s a good beer, my sense tells me it’s good, and I will seek feedback from others
When folks ya just met like your beer, you must be doing SOMETHING right.

I didn’t want to make it too complex, and from my research I was dissuaded from using roasted barley. This has a good hop bitterness.
Just this past weekend, I joined a local brewers club, and will take 1 or 2 bottles of my stout to share at the next meeting on Monday. My wife tells me it’s a good beer, my sense tells me it’s good, and I will seek feedback from others
What was the concern with using Roasted Barley?

I’m certain your beer is excellent, but I think RB and an Irish or Dry Stout go hand in hand. However, I say this knowing full well that there are many types of Stouts and the line between Stouts and Porters is vague at best. Not all Stout/Porters benefit from Roasted Barley.

MyDSC21-078a.jpg
MyDSC21-078b.jpg

My budget Light Pilsner Lager. ABV: 4%. Tried some of this after a couple of months then on and off for a while longer, cleared well but really wasn't up to much re: taste and texture. I worried that I had gone too far on the 'light' front followed the stick it away and try and forget about it rule. Just a couple of weeks short of a full year and wow so smooth with a slight and very unexpected creaminess, just enough body to balance it out. Saw some sediment moving in the bottom when I refrigerated the 1L PET bottle yesterday but it seemed to have re-settled, if not hasn't noticeably affected clarity much. Went down just great with Chicken Madras.

image.jpg
What was the concern with using Roasted Barley?

I’m certain your beer is excellent, but I think RB and an Irish or Dry Stout go hand in hand. However, I say this knowing full well that there are many types of Stouts and the line between Stouts and Porters is vague at best. Not all Stout/Porters benefit from Roasted Barley.
I read that roasted barley can be an acrid bitter, and that didn’t sound appealing, so I went with an alternative, Chocolate Wheat.
I made my own recipe for an American Stout based on recommendations found in research, and it checks the boxes on the recipe builder. I wanted to build a beer I could call my own. One point was not to use too many different ingredients, and a roast bomb was not my intention. I would recommend trying chocolate wheat in place of all or some RB sometime. But then I’ve never used RB in any recipe, tmk.
My wife called an earlier batch of this stout Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA). I would not be offended if someone else called it the same.
Meanwhile, my AC Pale Ale is drinking nicely on the porch.

Last edited:

Back