What are you drinking right now?

Quittin time! Another oatmeal stout after dinner. Two of these makes it a pretty good idea to quit doing anything with power tools.
6C123DD2-9E03-4296-8138-7441E87AA9C2.jpeg

MyDSC2S1-055.jpg

My Irish Extra Stout (not extra cold though - actually straight from storage to glass). Bottled New's Day. 5.5% ABV. Got a slight rustiness in that head which I am very pleased with. Used to be an extract kit by EDME around 20 years ago that had a lot of colour in the foam and I only used ordinary household sugar in those days. This batch is very dark at bottom of glass. Taste has some more to go yet but is already in the area I prefer: coffee-chocolate rather than liquourice so I would probably settle for this as finished article. I don't dry hop my stout's (yet). Increased the malt and it has balanced out the flavour nicely masking some of the bitterness but not killing it. Mouthfeel is soft, relaxing. In a word: nourishing. Thinking I prefer it cool to chilled in springtime.

Quittin time! Another oatmeal stout after dinner. Two of these makes it a pretty good idea to quit doing anything with power tools. View attachment 24762
Tricky isn't it I remember a few years ago I had a keggerator in my Garage it was too close for comfort.
My dear Mum come to visit saw that and said Ben power tools and beer don't mix :p!

hank God all my fingers survived :D.

Touch wood

View attachment 24763
My Irish Extra Stout (not extra cold though - actually straight from storage to glass). Bottled New's Day. 5.5% ABV. Got a slight rustiness in that head which I am very pleased with. Used to be an extract kit by EDME around 20 years ago that had a lot of colour in the foam and I only used ordinary household sugar in those days. This batch is very dark at bottom of glass. Taste has some more to go yet but is already in the area I prefer: coffee-chocolate rather than liquourice so I would probably settle for this as finished article. I don't dry hop my stout's (yet). Increased the malt and it has balanced out the flavour nicely masking some of the bitterness but not killing it. Mouthfeel is soft, relaxing. In a word: nourishing. Thinking I prefer it cool to chilled in springtime.
That sounds fantastic!
Sounds like you nailed it.

Tricky isn't it I remember a few years ago I had a keggerator in my Garage it was too close for comfort.
My dear Mum come to visit saw that and said Ben power tools and beer don't mix :p!

hank God all my fingers survived :D.

Touch wood
Some would say "What could go wrong with a sander?" I'm here to tell ya, plenty, especially a belt sander. Nearly lost my left index finger when I was in high school using a belt sander. Very long and exciting story that, but perhaps not the right place to tell it. Was actually kinda funny after all was said and done, and I didn't lose the finger.

View attachment 24763
Sounds great

Nice looking pint!
Thanks for the flowers. When I open one now, it has a very delayed foaming. It takes nearly 10 seconds or so before it seems to realize there's no cap on the bottle any more, and the foam will rise very slowly unless I pour it in a glass. Perhaps a little too much priming, but this batch carbed very slowly. Took nearly 3 weeks before it was ready. I'm guessing it had something to do with sitting nearly 5 weeks at 5C in the fermenter. Sure is good clean stuff. No sediment at all in the bottles. I pulled a clean test sample from the collection ball to check FG when I got ready to bottle. Patience is your friend with brewing/fermenting.

Cheers! Great when a bit of experimenting turns out well. Really glad I progressed to keeping records. Any improvement in this one will be a bonus.
Amen jotting some stuff down on brew day can be a godsend when looking back on recipes ;).
Don't wanna make the same tweek twice:)

Jokes aside, I will give it a sample Wednesday evening and see how it is. I am dry Monday's, Tuesday's, and Thursday's.
I totally get this.
Friday is part of the weekend and Wednesday breaks the week in the middle ;)
I may just follow your example

Thanks for the flowers. When I open one now, it has a very delayed foaming. It takes nearly 10 seconds or so before it seems to realize there's no cap on the bottle any more, and the foam will rise very slowly unless I pour it in a glass. Perhaps a little too much priming, but this batch carbed very slowly. Took nearly 3 weeks before it was ready. I'm guessing it had something to do with sitting nearly 5 weeks at 5C in the fermenter. Sure is good clean stuff. No sediment at all in the bottles. I pulled a clean test sample from the collection ball to check FG when I got ready to bottle. Patience is your friend with brewing/fermenting.
I had that once with a coffee porter, the exact same response after opening the bottle. It was a great beer, I almost cried when I popped the top on the last bottle of that one...

MyDSC2S1-056a.jpg
MyDSC2S1-056b.jpg
Found a few more beer styles in Aldi which I haven't tried before so authenticity is hard to tell. Whatever, this is nice stuff. Uncomplicated with bold moderate bitterness what I am assuming is a single variety of hop. It is like I can taste the hop element on top of the beer or in other words: two tastes at once. Head was very deep with a gentle pour and it had been sat undisturbed in the fridge for several days. Dissipated quickly down to what you see hear then just about stayed that way to the finish. My lagers haven't been too adventurous so far. This is one I am definitely going to consider having a bash at some point. Unlike the Triple (or is it supposed to be Tripel?) this has a brewery source on the rear: Freedom Brewery which I found on wikipedia is based in Staffordshire (England).

View attachment 24778 View attachment 24779Found a few more beer styles in Aldi which I haven't tried before so authenticity is hard to tell. Whatever, this is nice stuff. Uncomplicated with bold moderate bitterness what I am assuming is a single variety of hop. It is like I can taste the hop element on top of the beer or in other words: two tastes at once. Head was very deep with a gentle pour and it had been sat undisturbed in the fridge for several days. Dissipated quickly down to what you see hear then just about stayed that way to the finish. My lagers haven't been too adventurous so far. This is one I am definitely going to consider having a bash at some point. Unlike the Triple (or is it supposed to be Tripel?) this has a brewery source on the rear: Freedom Brewery which I found on wikipedia is based in Staffordshire (England).
Like a helles with a good dash of hops?
Please tell what verietys please?
Enjoy your Aldi beer adventures

Back