UK Supplies

@Gus

Trial Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been covered on a previous thread but I have just spent hours scouring the web trying to find a single source to purchase ingredients to start brewing my own beers to be delivered to the UK. I am not quite up to full mash yet, i'm using a grain steep recipe with liquid extract but am finding it impossible to find a decent source for all my ingredients.
I'm currently trying to brew a clone of Grimmenberg double but find it ridiculous that im having to buy the ingredients from multiple sources and cannot find one supplier with everything, the only ones I find with everything I need are state side and wont post to UK

Anyone able to point me in the direction of a decent source for supplies?

Thanks in advance

Gus

I believe The Malt Miller has been mentioned positively on the forum. @AHarper and @Steve SPF, @CelticTwilight and others are in England. They should be able to give you some recommendations. @Gus, where do you live? They may be a aware of a Local Home Brew Supply (LHBS) near you.

We do home brew supplies, we have a good range of malts and hops. Only two yeasts but those two cover everything we brew here. We generally deliver locally but fine with posting at cost. We do a lot of recipe kits of our own, don't mind making those up to other's recipes.

I've found Malt Miller excellent if a little expensive, I like Keg That very much and have a very good working relationship, I've found Cross My Loof very good as well; really quick despatch if you need stuff quickly.

Should also say that there are a few home brew shops failing now. I think partly due to age/retirements becaus they tend to be operated by gents of a certain age but also partly because the online sellers tend to keep a vast stock and run slick operations. Home brew shops are under real pressure here.

I'm sure you should be able to find everything in the UK.
If you fail, you could try braumarkt in the Netherlands, but transport cost will be steep

1 minute google gave me those options:
https://www.google.com/search?q=brew supplies .co.uk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-m

Hi, Thanks for the reply. The point I was making is not that I couldn't get supplies in the uk it was that im having to get items from lots of different places as not one place stocks a majority of what I require therefore im having to pay repeated postage outlay. Was just trying to save where I can

I believe The Malt Miller has been mentioned positively on the forum. @AHarper and @Steve SPF, @CelticTwilight and others are in England. They should be able to give you some recommendations. @Gus, where do you live? They may be a aware of a Local Home Brew Supply (LHBS) near you.

Thanks for reply, will give these guys a shout and see who they're using

We do home brew supplies, we have a good range of malts and hops. Only two yeasts but those two cover everything we brew here. We generally deliver locally but fine with posting at cost. We do a lot of recipe kits of our own, don't mind making those up to other's recipes.

I've found Malt Miller excellent if a little expensive, I like Keg That very much and have a very good working relationship, I've found Cross My Loof very good as well; really quick despatch if you need stuff quickly.

Thanks, will check these out

Hi Gus, sorry to hear of your frustration not being able to get everything you need from one single place. Hopefully some of those links might turn out to solve the problem. I didn't see Brew2Bottle (Blackburn, Lancs, reliable next day courier - DPD) in there. Like Steve SPF pointed out; some of the shops are failing. HomeBrewOnline (York) were a small online family business who also had a physical shop plus forum (still up last time I looked, very helpful and friendly - it was they who recommended Brewer's Friend to me. They updated their website for the Queen's Jubilee, come my next order had ceased trading. B2B recently acquired their stock which although I only use extract kits and spraymalts, from memory I think they did do the whole lot. Looking on B2B's site, their hops section is still in development so might be worth contacting them for an update. P D Plastics (Huddersfield) - budget kegs - took over Walminghurst (Blackburn) a few years back but themselves went bust around a year ago. I forget the name but there was a supplier of some if not all the raw materlals in Huddersfield which carried a message along the lines of 'not currently trading'. Sorry that is a bit vague, I wasn't looking for them on that particular day, this thread has just pricked my memory from when I stumbled on them doing something similar to yourself right now. Good luck and sorry I can't be much more help than that.

Brew 2 Bottle liquidated in March and shafted all their suppliers, two of their serving officers then bought the company back and started trading again. It's a horrible dirty trick that can ruin small businesses.

I had a crappy experience with them in my earlier days too, a company to be avoided in my opinion.

Brew 2 Bottle liquidated in March and shafted all their suppliers, two of their serving officers then bought the company back and started trading again. It's a horrible dirty trick that can ruin small businesses.

I had a crappy experience with them in my earlier days too, a company to be avoided in my opinion.
I have done alright with them in my three orders so far although the measure is always how somebody puts things right when they go wrong. But you have gone some way to filling in the blanks re: my iniital curiosity following the fanfare spam email announcement of their acquisition and somewhat contrarian tone of the subsequent response to my reply. They didn't seem remotely interested in HBO's public forum or youtube channel. Something of a lower profile than I was expecting. I will leave it there for now. Hopefully those serving officers were two of the good guys and no members here doing business have any serious issues. I can't help thinking of those suppliers though. Shocking and not good for the trade overall either.

Apologies if this has already been covered on a previous thread but I have just spent hours scouring the web trying to find a single source to purchase ingredients to start brewing my own beers to be delivered to the UK. I am not quite up to full mash yet, i'm using a grain steep recipe with liquid extract but am finding it impossible to find a decent source for all my ingredients.
I'm currently trying to brew a clone of Grimmenberg double but find it ridiculous that im having to buy the ingredients from multiple sources and cannot find one supplier with everything, the only ones I find with everything I need are state side and wont post to UK

Thanks in advance

Gus

There's at great shop near Farnborough that also does mail-order

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/

Also Wilko's do a limited range of brewing supplies

Last edited:
I haven't tried geterbrewed yet as my needs are currently met on mainland but I am aware of these guys, seen a couple of their videos on youtube when I was researching for mini-kegs. They did seem quite comprehensive in what they offered although I am far from an expert in such matters. Also using DPD is a very good sign - the only issue I have ever had with that courier is they brought a Monday order forward to a Saturday - they'd emailed me first thing Saturday with the details AFTER I had already made an early trip to get my groceries that morning. Still got sorted though, apparently it was due to being a lighter parcel.

I visited my local Wilkos this morning as that is my only physical homebrew stockist locally - their homebrew section is currently a sight for sore eyes. It reminded me a little of when Boots stopped homebrewing supplies altogether. At the time there was no other supplier that I was aware of locally and before online was even a thing. They really would not encourage anybody thinking of starting up at the moment. Hopefully it is just temporary, making way for festive shelf space.

Brew 2 Bottle liquidated in March and shafted all their suppliers, two of their serving officers then bought the company back and started trading again.

It's a horrible dirty trick that can ruin small businesses.
"Totally Agree"

I had a crappy experience with them in my earlier days too,

a company to be avoided in my opinion
"Duly Noted"

+1 for crossmyloof (free posting, i think)
and if they don't have the specific malt stated in a recipe, they may(?) have a suitable substitute in this table

and
+1 for TheMaltMiller

Thanks in advance

Gus

I'm in England and The Malt Miller and GetErBrewed (Northern Ireland) have been my go-to suppliers since I started all-grain brewing. They produce some useful YouTube videos too. There are loads of other equipment and raw material suppliers too

I'm in England and The Malt Miller and GetErBrewed (Northern Ireland) have been my go-to suppliers since I started all-grain brewing. They produce some useful YouTube videos too. There are loads of other equipment and raw material suppliers too
Not ordered anything from GetErBrewed as yet but I agree about their videos. Clearly presented, explained and good responses to comments posted, showing they take the time. Good signs.

Crossmyloof is a place near Glasgow, in Scotland.

Back