New Kid on the Block...

Andrew_D

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've occasionally dipped my toe into the water of this site, but today I've decided to sign up for Premium membership and use it as my main brewing support system. The social aspect also appeals to me and it would be great to hear from any other members in the North West of England. I've been brewing all-grain for a couple of years and I'm completely hooked, but I need to get more organised - I keep pretty good records, but not always in a consistent way. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well as learn.

Last edited:
Welcome Andrew
You'll find the members here a real helpful bunch that do like to go off-track & topic sometimes ;)

Tell us: what beer do you like? And what set up do you have?

Thank you. I haven't really found a style of beer that I don't like... yet and I've brewed everything from Pilsner to Barley Wine and Imperial Stout. I love to experiment and (touch wood) so far I've received good feedback from family members that have tried my beers. I started with BIAB in a plastic bucket with heating element and 2 years later I have a Grainfather G30, with conical fermenter and glycol chiller. I still do some small BIAB batches indoors, using a 12 litre bucket and sous vide stick. I've made 2 batches using home-grown hops too.

Hello all, I've occasionally dipped my toe into the water of this site, but today I've decided to sign up for Premium membership and use it as my main brewing support system. The social aspect also appeals to me and it would be great to hear from any other members in the North West of England. I've been brewing all-grain for a couple of years and I'm completely hooked, but I need to get more organised - I keep pretty good records, but not always in a consistent way. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well as learn.
I use a different program to keep organized, but definately a game changer. having your recipes, inventory and batches all in one place makes it easier to repeat a batch or make changes based on what you saw last time.

oh, ya..........welcome to the insane asylum! :p lots of great people here

Hey welcome Andrew! What do think you're most lacking record wise?

Welcome Andrew.
Looking forward to your contribution and banter!
Cheers

I live in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. Cambridge was incorporated in the 1970's, prior to that there were three separate towns, Preston, Hespeler, and Galt. I am in the area that used to called Galt, but all of kids went to Preston High School

Who is John Galt?

I digress.
Welcome Andrew. We're a friendly and mostly harmless bunch. We do stray off topic now and then, but collectively we probably have a zillion years of brewing. Yet we all tend to learn something most every day!

You had to ask...

John Galt, novelist, colonial promoter (born 2 May 1779 in Irvine, Scotland; died 11 April 1839 in Greenock, Scotland). Galt was superintendent (1826–29) of the Canada Company, a colonization company created to settle part of Upper Canada (Ontario). During that time, he founded the town of Guelph (1827); the town of Galt (now part of Cambridge) was named after him.

You had to ask...

John Galt, novelist, colonial promoter (born 2 May 1779 in Irvine, Scotland; died 11 April 1839 in Greenock, Scotland). Galt was superintendent (1826–29) of the Canada Company, a colonization company created to settle part of Upper Canada (Ontario). During that time, he founded the town of Guelph (1827); the town of Galt (now part of Cambridge) was named after him.
I was thinking more of Ayn Rand.
But cool info. I cannot imagine the effort to get to Guelph (for example) in 1827. From Scotland.

Welcome aboard Andrew. It sounds as though you have rather an eclectic range of tastes. Variety is the spice of life as they say. I like trying new beers and matching drinks with food although this is not always a success.

I live in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. Cambridge was incorporated in the 1970's, prior to that there were three separate towns, Preston, Hespeler, and Galt. I am in the area that used to called Galt, but all of kids went to Preston High School

So, lots of Prestons everywhere. Ours is in the North West of England. I really must visit Canada one day...

So, lots of Prestons everywhere. Ours is in the North West of England. I really must visit Canada one day...
The most storied trophy in all of sports (in my opinion) is the Stanley Cup, donated by the then Governor General of Canada.

From Wikipedia:
The trophy was commissioned in 1892 as the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup and is named after Lord Stanley of Preston, the Governor General of Canada, who donated it as an award to Canada's top-ranking amateur ice hockey club. The entire Stanley family supported the sport, the sons and daughters all playing and promoting the game.[2] The first Cup was awarded in 1893 to Montreal Hockey Club, and winners from 1893 to 1914 were determined by challenge games and league play.

Back