Mash tun volume exceeded error

Dexlor

Premium Member
Reaction score
For context, I BIAB in a 20 gallon kettle and full volume mashes. I usually brew 10 gallon batches below 1.070 OG.

I've noticed that in most of my brew sessions, I get a waring saying I will exceed my mash tun volume. The first time I saw this, I took it seriously and followed the guidance. There ended up being plenty of space in the kettle. I've tended to ignore it but I want to figure out what is actually causing it so that I don't have to go to am external calculator to confirm if my Kettle will runneth over.

I reviewed my equipment settings and everything looks right. My grist ratio is set at 2 but the text next to it says that this is ignored for BIAB. My recipe is set to BIAB.

Am I doing something wrong?

Screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-202323.png
    Screenshot_20230128-202323.png
    178.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
For context, I BIAB in a 20 gallon kettle and full volume mashes. I usually brew 10 gallon batches below 1.070 OG.

I've noticed that in most of my brew sessions, I get a waring saying I will exceed my mash tun volume. The first time I saw this, I took it seriously and followed the guidance. There ended up being plenty of space in the kettle. I've tended to ignore it but I want to figure out what is actually causing it so that I don't have to go to am external calculator to confirm if my Kettle will runneth over.

I reviewed my equipment settings and everything looks right. My grist ratio is set at 2 but the text next to it says that this is ignored for BIAB. My recipe is set to BIAB.

Am I doing something wrong?

Screenshot attached.
Verify your equipment profile shows a 20-gallon kettle.

That being said, I generally ignore the water calcs, as I often get weird recommendations. I brew in an electric all-in-one and know exactly how much water to use for my 5-gallon batches.

Good thought. I tried changing from 80 QT to 800 QT and it still had the same warning. Also tried changing mash thickness upward to be sure it wasn't using that.

mash thickness upward adds more water to the kettle, change it lower , it uses less water

try the all grain instead of bib and set it up as before, it should work

Here's my 2¢.
From the screen shot, it looks like you are adding almost 16 gallons of water to a 20 gallon pot. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the grist. Do you add all that water as water as strike water or do you mash with some of that water and then pull the bag and pour sparge water over the bag which then drains into the kettle? If it's the latter then I think the calculator is thinking you have grains, strike water and sparge water in at the same time. If it the former then I have no idea.

Turns out the issue is that if your Mashtun volume is blank, it thinks it's zero, and since most BIAB brewers only ever enter the kettle volume and not the mashtun volume they tend to be the only ones that see the issue.

Fill this in and it'll go away!
upload_2023-2-25_16-38-58.png

upload_2023-2-25_16-38-31.png

I'm also going to put in a low priority ticket to add text to the warning if the value is blank.

Back