Ways you’ve changed as a brewer this year

Well, I started the year in Southern California, and am ending the year in Eugene, Oregon, so a lot has changed for me. I am still using the same process (single vessel BIAB), but left behind an awesome gas stove and oven, and have learned how to brew and cook with electric. I started the year using vending machine RO water for brew days, and now I use straight tap water. My garage in SoCal was cramped and very hot during summer, now my garage is routinely near freezing temps (at least at this time of year), but I have tons more storage space, making it easy to access whatever equipment I need at that moment. I had a choice of a couple different lhbs in SoCal, now I have just one, and that one does not serve 16 taps of craft beer. I used to have the lhbs crush my grains, now I have my own mill and do it myself.
This year I brewed my first 2 stouts, experimented with wheat beer, and even had others here on this site brew my submission for one of the quarterly community beers. I considered joining a homebrew club, but haven’t stepped up to that yet.

Zero dumpers this year - assuming the Amarillo I have fermenting doesn't catch a cold - so it looks like I learned to clean properly. I learned about the beers that really please me as well and those traditional English styles are really where it's at for me. I guess I'm also learning to control the process so that it's predictable and repeatable.

Dispense too, I learned quite a bit about dispense and eel I have that nailed down now ( says the guy who is opening his bar on Christmas day with a cooler that shit itself yesterday :) ) There's no point in me brewing decent beer if the I can't get it into the glass looking good and at the correct temp etc.
Wow you don't do anything by halves man!

I wish you success !

Hell, yes. Eggs are $6/dozen at Publix. I bought them at the farm last week.

Supply and demand I understand but what are they doing? Driving up the price of eggs by selling more fried chicken? Costco is $5 for 2 dz.

The Quik Trip (convenience store) near me usually has the cheapest eggs, but last time I was there, 2 days ago, they had gone up to $4.99/doz. Walmart here hasn't had prices posted on the cooler doors the last couple months. I suppose they can't keep up with the fluctuations. Find out at the checkout.

Might have to buy some laying hens. Yeah, that's what I need, another hobby. ;)

Last edited:
Supply and demand I understand but what are they doing? Driving up the price of eggs by selling more fried chicken? Costco is $5 for 2 dz.
With all the new development down here, I'm surprised they have room for farming anymore. Walmart wasn't that much cheaper the last time I looked.
At the one farm store that I like, I want to say a flat of 30 is something like $10, but I always have visions of those damn things rolling off the back seat of my truck. LOL. I don't worry about the ones in the carton.

Maybe if Ben explains what happens to hens that don't lay eggs anymore, they'll up their production!

Tack this pic on the wall of the henhouse. That should get the eggs dropping again.

cleaver.jpg

Maybe if Ben explains what happens to hens that don't lay eggs anymore, they'll up their production!
Yeah I joke around saying just lay the Axe against the fence. Their too dump for that they'd probably go over and peck at it lol.

Yup mine are getting really close to the chopping block.

I planted some Corn recently in a section of their yard penned it off and the little bastards got in and pecked them all out:mad: oh man blood was boiling lol!

I want to say a flat of 30 is something like $10

2 dozen at the costy Costco in leafy Columbia MD was$5.99 tonight...I'm pretty sure I paid a buck less in Frederick MD 40 miles west of metropolitan Baltimore 2 weeks ago....but the gas was cheap...$2.99/gallon!

Recycle that spent mash Max.....what's 10# of chicken feed go for @Trialben ?

I used to. Had a friend with urban chickens. I'd drop off spent grains, come home with some eggs. Then he got rid of the birds. I posted in the free section of Craigslist, and sometimes got takers who'd stop by to pick them up.

Once I tried mixing some into the soil in my box gardens for compost, until the squirrels discovered it and dug holes all over.

Now I dump it in the woods nearby, and the pheasants and wild turkeys eat it up.

I started the year in Southern California, and am ending the year in Eugene, Oregon, so a lot has changed for me.
I wanna hear about your first brew with wet hops now that you're in hop country....oh...Mecca Grade is not too far ...time for an all Oregon batch!

Back