Greetings!

mrtraver

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello!

I have been extract brewing for a little over a year, including some partial mash recipes, and have lurked this site a few times. I am planning to start BIAB in 2 gallon batches, and decided to actually create an account.

Any suggestions for non-IPA recipes?

See ya!

Hi Traver & welcome
There are a couple small scale biab brewers on here, so ask away
I'm not the biggest hophead, so don't brew IPA's although I do like pale ales ;)
I'm quite keen on Belgian beers, but trying to branch out.
There are a lot of non-ipa's so you would have to be a bit more specific ;)

Thanks for the prompt reply! I said that sort of tongue-in-cheek, but yeah that is pretty broad. :)

I tend to go more malty than hoppy. I like flavor but not bitterness. I drank only domestic mass-market beer for years, until a friend got me to try an Unfiltered Wheat. I still drank primarily Blue Moon until about 4 years ago when i started trying to branch out more. (Still love Blue Moon, but some of the others I used to drink taste watery to me now.) I like white/blonde ales, amber ales, and pale ales, and I recently discovered that porters and stouts are not gross. Suggestions for any of those would be welcome! I'll most likely be ordering ingredients online; as the nearest brew supply store is about 50 miles from me.

I have been extract brewing for a little over a year, including some partial mash recipes, and have lurked this site a few times. I am planning to start BIAB in 2 gallon batches, and decided to actually create an account.

Any suggestions for non-IPA recipes?

See ya!
Welcome to our nutty little group.

Brown ales might be a good choice for a non-IPA, non bitter, malty brew. @Josh Hughes makes a good one, I've stolen his recipe and thoroughly enjoyed three batches do far.

I am also a big fan of Hefeweitzen, a wheat beer very different from, say, blue moon or an American wheat. Worth trying.

Good commercial examples of these include Cigar City's Maduro brown ale, and Franziskaner/Weihenstefaner/Wernesgruener (from Lidl) Hefe.

Welcome!

Plenty of malt-forward beers to brew. Many British and Irish ales tend to lean toward the malty side. Brown ales, porters, dark milds, stouts--particularly oatmeal stouts.

Also, hefeweizen, Kolsch, witbier, blonde ale, and all the tasty Belgian abbey styles.

Welcome to Brewer's Friend traver. I am an extract brewer (including budget kits which I have successfully adapted upwards in quality as my confidence has grown) thinking about looking at BIAB once my current supplies get lowish. So I look forward to reading any posts in this area. I also lean more towards the sort of malty beers listed by Max although was using ordinary granulated sugar for ages before discovering spraymalt a few years ago. I only got into hops recently finding that dry hopping I can limit the bitterness by adding hops sparingly and get more of a twist than full on effect. A bit hit and miss so far in the learning curve but certainly all interesting stuff without any outright disasters, producing some wonderful aftertastes; something I really had been missing out on.

Good luck on anything new you try. There is plenty of advice and activity on here.

Welcome to the forums. Lots of great users here and plenty of help if you ask. I brew all grain but not BIAB. If you are looking for something specific just ask, you will probably get multiple responses. Enjoy the forums.

Welcome @mrtraver I do 2.5 gallon BIAB batches, and like IPA, pale ale, amber ale, wheat beer, some Belgian styles and now stout. Lots of good info to be found here on the site, and many good folks willing to answer questions and offer advice and tips.

Back