New member, new brewer! Hi from Aurora, CO

CoFlyGuy

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone! My name is Graham Moran. I am totally new to brewing and have been doing some reading lately and am super excited about the possibility of brewing my own. I have a neighbor who brewed some at my house firing off some thoughts about another culinary rabbit hole for me to go down.
I am currently big into grilling and smoking meats on both a Weber E335 and a Traeger Pro 780. I have also been using a Pit Barrel Smoker for a few things. Having attended Culinary School in Paris I am a fan of everything that has to do with the food sciences, particularly eating and drinking.

Once I finish reading How to Brew by John j. Palmer, I plan to start my first brew. Of course, I will need to get the proper equipment to get started, but none the less I am really stoked to join this journey.

I can't wait to get deeper in with all of you in the coming days.

lots of good people here. if you have questions, ask away.

breckenridge brewery is one of my favorites

lots of good people here. if you have questions, ask away.

breckenridge brewery is one of my favorites
I used to really like Breck Brewery way back when they were a small brew house. I lived in Breckenridge. Now, I still drink their beer but it is not my go to., currently my favorite brew house is Copper Kettle Brewing or Dry Dock Brewing.

Good luck with it. Best hobby you can get involved in because you can go deep or stay shallow…and make great beer either way!

This is a great community, so stay active. Great place to learn AND to teach. Everyone has something to offer. And we are all willing to listen and learn.

Good luck with it. Best hobby you can get involved in because you can go deep or stay shallow…and make great beer either way!

This is a great community, so stay active. Great place to learn AND to teach. Everyone has something to offer. And we are all willing to listen and learn.
Thanks Megary. I am pretty stoked about it. I know there is a ton to learn just like in any culinary exploration. I think I am getting to the point of getting ready to start a new blog covering my culinary journey which will include everything from the steel on my patio for grilling and smoking to my kitchen to the journey through libations of many kinds

Thanks Megary. I am pretty stoked about it. I know there is a ton to learn just like in any culinary exploration. I think I am getting to the point of getting ready to start a new blog covering my culinary journey which will include everything from the steel on my patio for grilling and smoking to my kitchen to the journey through libations of many kinds
There are a lot of us who would appreciate a few tips on grilling, smoking etc.

If not a lot of us, at least me. :D I use a Blackstone and love the griddle aspect of it, though I’m still learning all that it can offer.

There are a lot of us who would appreciate a few tips on grilling, smoking etc.

If not a lot of us, at least me. :D I use a Blackstone and love the griddle aspect of it, though I’m still learning all that it can offer.
I am happy to share just about anything you all want to know regarding grilling. I also have a Blackstone and really enjoy cooking on it. SO I guess maybe a Grilling thread needs to be started.

Hey there! Good luck and happy brewing. I'm not new to brewing itself but new to all-grain. So, happy to be on the journey with you. :)

Probably the first questions you are going to need to ask yourself when you get done with the book (by the way, good choice). Is where am I going to brew? and how much at a time am I going to brew? That will answer a few questions on the equipment. Get a bigger kettle than you think you will need. I would also have a dedicated chest freezer or refrigerator with a controller for temperature control.
Learning about brewing takes time just like getting good at smoking meats. I can do a mean turkey and a mean brisket, but I made some mistakes first.
If you get familiar with your beer ingredients and beer styles, keep a proper temperature, and most of all, keep EVERYTHING sanitized, you will get something drinkable. Also, if you bottle carbonate, use the correct amount of priming sugar in thick bottles. Lastly, be aware that Belgian yeasts are very active and need blow off tubes in place of the airlocks.

Hey there! Good luck and happy brewing. I'm not new to brewing itself but new to all-grain. So, happy to be on the journey with you. :)
Thanks buddy! My plan is to start with an extract brew and then grow slowly over time.

I learned on extracts too. I bought a 10-gallon kettle for those but learned I was going to need something bigger for Brew In A Bag. That was an expensive mistake. If you do feel comfortable after your reading, you are going to get a much better beer from all grain. If not, the extracts will give you a general idea on the process.
Also, keep in mind the extracts will still make your house smell like beer for about 3 days if you brew inside and don't open up the house.
I am lucky enough to live in a climate where I can brew outside the vast majority of the year.

Hi there, from just a bit south of you in Monument.
Brewing is a great joy!

There are a few of us local-ish to you, use us as a reference.

Best of luck

T

I learned on extracts too. I bought a 10-gallon kettle for those but learned I was going to need something bigger for Brew In A Bag. That was an expensive mistake. If you do feel comfortable after your reading, you are going to get a much better beer from all grain. If not, the extracts will give you a general idea on the process.
Also, keep in mind the extracts will still make your house smell like beer for about 3 days if you brew inside and don't open up the house.
I am lucky enough to live in a climate where I can brew outside the vast majority of the year.

Yeah I remember the whole scent thing. I think I want to start with an extract to get the basics down and then grow from there. Before I played disc golf I threw a Frisbee in by backyard with my old man. Also rode a bike before I drove a car. Safer to learn to walk before running.

Yeah I remember the whole scent thing. I think I want to start with an extract to get the basics down and then grow from there. Before I played disc golf I threw a Frisbee in by backyard with my old man. Also rode a bike before I drove a car. Safer to learn to walk before running.
It's usually a good strategy

Gday your avatar looks similar to another old forum user aka @Thunderwagon I thought he musta poped back on under a new guize :p.

Welcome coflyguy

You look familiar.... Do you shop the Brew Hut or hang out at their Homebrewer's Nights? In any case, you're local. Welcome aboard!

Back