What are you doing with homebrew today?

But they'd be going from drinking temp to ambient temp for storage and I'm not sure how bad that'd be
When the keg fridge died, I was forced into an unexpected experiment: how would the kegs fare for some time at ambient?

Keg 1 was the Ukrainian Belgian half full, keg 2 was Josh's Bitter, almost full. Turns out, almost 8 weeks at garage ambient (75-90 F) did no harm.

Considering this, I suspect the less hopped beers will do just fine in bottles for many months, perhaps years.

I also speculate hoppy beers will see some hop aroma degradation over a year.

Conclusion: do it. It will be fine.

When the keg fridge died, I was forced into an unexpected experiment: how would the kegs fare for some time at ambient?

Keg 1 was the Ukrainian Belgian half full, keg 2 was Josh's Bitter, almost full. Turns out, almost 8 weeks at garage ambient (75-90 F) did no harm.

Considering this, I suspect the less hopped beers will do just fine in bottles for many months, perhaps years.

I also speculate hoppy beers will see some hop aroma degradation over a year.

Conclusion: do it. It will be fine.
I appreciate your input!

Gunna rack the first batch of Rapier Wit to a very short Secondary (overnight) fermenter to settle for bottling tomorrow. Fermented in buckets this time and want to check the difference (if any) in clarity. Last several batches in the conical have been exceptionally clear until I open them, then get the typical wheat beef haze. Gotta drill a bucket for a spigot first.

Gunna rack the first batch of Rapier Wit to a very short Secondary (overnight) fermenter to settle for bottling tomorrow. Fermented in buckets this time and want to check the difference (if any) in clarity. Last several batches in the conical have been exceptionally clear until I open them, then get the typical wheat beef haze. Gotta drill a bucket for a spigot first.
Decided against handling the Wit twice and just went to bottling.
Pretty sure after the next batch in a bucket, I won’t ferment in buckets again. Very cloudy and poorly flocculated, so gonna have a lot of sludge in these bottles after they condition. Will definitely need a glass to decant. Disappointed, but this is my lazy recipe that I can brew very quickly.
Better get bottling. Primer sugar already in the batch.

I bottled my ESB today. With this one I added enough salts to get 1/3 of the way to Burton water. It's hard to tell from tasting the uncarbonated sample but, the flavor seemed softer, less bitter. Really looking forward to taste this one once it's carbonated. While bottling I was listening to the Brulosophy episode on naming beers. Now that I know I will be brewing this one regularly, I am thinking of naming this one "Extra Bitter Barbarian".

Busy morning and it is only 9 in the morning.
Dug weevilly wheat out of the freezer, and hops. Half froze my fingers.
Weighed out grains and double milled. Heated water for the mash and mashing while we type.

Jointed a chicken and marinated for lunch or dinner and took sourdough from the fridge and shaped into batard. She's resting now, same as me ;)

Decided to change hop from Fuggles/Saaz to Styrian/Saaz. About to weigh them out and hopefully find place in the freezer to put everything back (chest freezers do not get emptier if you take something out :rolleyes:)

I bottled my ESB today. With this one I added enough salts to get 1/3 of the way to Burton water. It's hard to tell from tasting the uncarbonated sample but, the flavor seemed softer, less bitter. Really looking forward to taste this one once it's carbonated. While bottling I was listening to the Brulosophy episode on naming beers. Now that I know I will be brewing this one regularly, I am thinking of naming this one "Extra Bitter Barbarian".
I name all my beers. Nothing like a catchy name to lure them in. By them, I mean me.

Bottled a pomegranate cranberry cider and got a tank refill at the LHBS. I'm coming up on a year of kegging and this is only the 3rd time I've swapped out a 5 lbs tank. The first few months I used force carb, and lately I spund to carbonate beers. But I use CO2 for every transfer and purging empty kegs

LA Summer Blond underway - Mash started.

Set up out in the tractor shed. Gotta admit there's a lot more room out here, not to mention, I don't have the sun baking my noggin. Put fans blowing in both windows with the bay door open,and it ain't so bad. Actually feels cooler than it does up on the deck. Need a better repeater for WiFi, though.

LA Summer Blond underway - Mash started.

Set up out in the tractor shed. Gotta admit there's a lot more room out here, not to mention, I don't have the sun baking my noggin. Put fans blowing in both windows with the bay door open,and it ain't so bad. Actually feels cooler than it does up on the deck. Need a better repeater for WiFi, though.
Permission error.

Happy BrewDay!

0B91B6C2-552A-423D-AFB9-EC58AE1D16E5.jpeg

Mash Step 2. Classic Rock playing for background noise. Life is good.

Last edited:

Back