What are you doing with homebrew today?

just dry hopped my pale ale using this bag

https://www.morebeer.com/products/monstermesh-strainer-fermmonster-carboys.html

37983.jpg
I've got a stainless steel 400 micron cannister. That thing cleans up NICE and no residual smells from the yeast. Well, the mesh in it is 400 micron, but the holes in the top are a bit larger, nearly .03125 (1/16) inch diameter. I had a float left over from a GoPro kit, which will flow the cannister and hops quite nicely, with about 1 inch of the cannister above the brew level. The trick is to make sure the cannister doesn't get dry before cleaning it up, and just spraying it out with the sink sprayer does the trick. Spray it with Star San before storing it. Spray it with Star San again before using it. I've had good success with dry-hopping with that. No strings or anything under the lid/o-ring of the fermenter, so no chance of goozies sneakin' in.

Bottled up the LA Mud Puddle today. NEARLY 54 - 12 oz. bottles worth, I'll call it 53.5 bottles. I lose a LOT less volume now that I've learned to use the conical efficiently. Refilling the bulb (after sanitizing) with clean water when I empty the first load of sludge really helps with volume as well as clarity and avoids aerating the batch, too, because it doesn't have to fill the bulb up with the brew. And, I don't have to pull the air-lock because the volume doesn't significantly drop when it doesn't have to fill the bulb back up.

I am learning to dislike the plastic ball valve though. Trub/dregs get trapped between the ball and housing when it's operated, and it is a PITA to reassemble when I take it apart for cleaning. The worst part is putting the shaft back in it. Gotta be somethin' better/easier to clean. I have figured out, though, if I put the ball and rotating shaft in the freezer while I'm lubing up the o-rings etc in the housing with silicone grease, it's a bit easier to snap it all back together. Not easy, but easier. Considering a stainless valve to replace it, but that's gonna be pricey. They don't give away 1-inch NPT stainless ball valves. I doubt it would be any better about stuff getting between the housing and the ball, but it would probably be a little more durable and reasonable for disassembly and reassembly. I've tried turning the valve half-way, but it still seems to have some residue trapped in it. If I flush with boiling water several times, let it drain with the valve half open, it tends to be OK for a couple batches. But I'm not doing more than two, knowing what I know now. Or am I being too anal about this? I worry mostly about an infection ruining a batch. If I'm gonna go through the trouble to make it, I wanna drink it, not pour it out. All in all, though, it's still a lot better than racking from a bucket, if not a bit troublesome to lift 5+ gallons of beer onto the kitchen table for draining.

On a tasting note, I'm thinking the addition of the Magnum to this batch might have been a little overkill on the hops, for my tastes anyway. It's a bit more bitter than I like, but I'm hoping that conditioning/carbonation will mellow that out a bit. The Citra and Galaxy combined and it's got a FANTASTIC nose. We'll see if it gets as good as it smells. Low (3.5%) ABV, so good for sittin on the porch and sippin. Looks like it's gonna have a pretty good head, too. There was a little natural carbing, and it had good retention when I pulled the sample in the cylinder. Otherwise, guess I have a few weeks' worth of earwax to drink. I ain't pouring it out. Plan B is to give it to my step-son and get him to buy me some craft stuff from the store in exchange. Yeah, that's the ticket!

LHBS is closed today, but I'll go by tomorrow and pick up a couple more recipes to brew up next week. Let myself run out again because I waited too long to brew up this batch. Can't possibly have anything to do with it being a lot hotter and beer tasting so much better with less stuff floating in it. Haven't had a stout or brown in a while, so that's ONE that's on the horizon, and probably another of my go-to, Rapier Wit using DME.

If I had a good place to store it, I'd buy some bulk base malt grain and just get the flavoring stuff from the LHBS. But, we had our first mouse in the house since I bought the place in 2004. A mouse in my malt would probably tip me over the edge. Anyone use metal garbage cans for storage?

Bottled up the LA Mud Puddle today. NEARLY 54 - 12 oz. bottles worth, I'll call it 53.5 bottles. I lose a LOT less volume now that I've learned to use the conical efficiently. Refilling the bulb (after sanitizing) with clean water when I empty the first load of sludge really helps with volume as well as clarity and avoids aerating the batch, too, because it doesn't have to fill the bulb up with the brew. And, I don't have to pull the air-lock because the volume doesn't significantly drop when it doesn't have to fill the bulb back up.

I am learning to dislike the plastic ball valve though. Trub/dregs get trapped between the ball and housing when it's operated, and it is a PITA to reassemble when I take it apart for cleaning. The worst part is putting the shaft back in it. Gotta be somethin' better/easier to clean. I have figured out, though, if I put the ball and rotating shaft in the freezer while I'm lubing up the o-rings etc in the housing with silicone grease, it's a bit easier to snap it all back together. Not easy, but easier. Considering a stainless valve to replace it, but that's gonna be pricey. They don't give away 1-inch NPT stainless ball valves. I doubt it would be any better about stuff getting between the housing and the ball, but it would probably be a little more durable and reasonable for disassembly and reassembly. I've tried turning the valve half-way, but it still seems to have some residue trapped in it. If I flush with boiling water several times, let it drain with the valve half open, it tends to be OK for a couple batches. But I'm not doing more than two, knowing what I know now. Or am I being too anal about this? I worry mostly about an infection ruining a batch. If I'm gonna go through the trouble to make it, I wanna drink it, not pour it out. All in all, though, it's still a lot better than racking from a bucket, if not a bit troublesome to lift 5+ gallons of beer onto the kitchen table for draining.

On a tasting note, I'm thinking the addition of the Magnum to this batch might have been a little overkill on the hops, for my tastes anyway. It's a bit more bitter than I like, but I'm hoping that conditioning/carbonation will mellow that out a bit. The Citra and Galaxy combined and it's got a FANTASTIC nose. We'll see if it gets as good as it smells. Low (3.5%) ABV, so good for sittin on the porch and sippin. Looks like it's gonna have a pretty good head, too. There was a little natural carbing, and it had good retention when I pulled the sample in the cylinder. Otherwise, guess I have a few weeks' worth of earwax to drink. I ain't pouring it out. Plan B is to give it to my step-son and get him to buy me some craft stuff from the store in exchange. Yeah, that's the ticket!

LHBS is closed today, but I'll go by tomorrow and pick up a couple more recipes to brew up next week. Let myself run out again because I waited too long to brew up this batch. Can't possibly have anything to do with it being a lot hotter and beer tasting so much better with less stuff floating in it. Haven't had a stout or brown in a while, so that's ONE that's on the horizon, and probably another of my go-to, Rapier Wit using DME.

If I had a good place to store it, I'd buy some bulk base malt grain and just get the flavoring stuff from the LHBS. But, we had our first mouse in the house since I bought the place in 2004. A mouse in my malt would probably tip me over the edge. Anyone use metal garbage cans for storage?
You've been busy Roadie!
Sounds like your having a ball!

You've been busy Roadie!
Sounds like your having a ball!
A little bit, yeah, but would probably rather do more with the brewing. Most of the 'busy' has been with real life and working on the property (keeping the groomed part groomed and grooming more of it). And here I thought retirement would be boring and slow. Not so much when ya gotta do a rescue on your youngest daughter and 2 grandchildren (temporarily moved in with us). The saddest part is it's a repeat effort which includes her first child and now a second (8 and 3). Add in teaching an 18-year-old granddaughter to drive and becoming a great grampa by way of the eldest grandson, yeah, busy is the correct word. I'm getting too old for this much drama and excitement.

Going by the LHBS today to grab some ingredients and see if he's got brewing bags. May brew a batch this evening just to get the fermenter going again. Since having the conical and seeing the difference in the clarity alone, I don't wanna brew in buckets anymore. Not unless it's a highly flocculent yeast that will drag all the trub to the cake with it. I like not having quite so much residue in the bottle so that I can drink straight from it. Don't mind a little sleepy yeast, but really don't like yeast waste or trub silt.

Looking like rain, so I may not get to brew the stout I want to stock up on. Might have to do another rapier wit because I can do that on the kitchen stove. I can see a wiring project to add an outlet on my deck and a new electric kettle in my future. The way my burner eats propane bottles, it can't be the most efficient/cost effective heating source. Besides that, I'll get better temperature control with an electric kettle which will better facilitate mashing/brewing in the same vessel.

Just finished brewing Herms Azacca Wheat. Had not used White Labs yeast before. When I dumped it in the fermenter ( did not make a starter) , came out of the package kind of clumpy/ hopefully it will dissolve in the brew properly.
You'll know today :)

Transferring the gose to the serving keg and added a little more lemon peel and salt (easier to put in more than take it out right :D)

Gonna brew the next Base Jumper beer tomorrow, 2 Row. My goal is to have some pilsner batch left to compare the 2

Been out in the shop all day in the stinking hot and muggy weather. Had to fix the brake light switch on a Hyundai Accent, then a minor repair on the step on my Kubota LX2601SU. Apparently I hit something with the tractor and bent the step a little. Good thing I already added braces to it or the step would likely be missing or balled up. Gonna shower and maybe throw on a quick batch of rapier wit tonight. Only takes 45 minutes to brew. Takes more time to clean up than it does to brew the beer. Might sneak one of the Mud Puddles and see if it’s getting close to ready. That stuff smelled tasty when I bottled it.

I agree it's a little weird :) I got the idea from a beer I tried at a craft beer fest a few years ago. It was an especially hot day and I was very narrow minded in my beer preferences back then, and thought there was no way I would like this lemon basil wheat...but it was delicious!
reminds me of this one from Jack's Abby https://jacksabby.com/beers/ray-catcher/

You wire it up yet?

You can dial in the temp on that little controller?
Not wired up yet.
I want to bottle my saison and cider first as they are in the fridge now.
And yes, it's supposed to regulate the temperature.
The cable connectors are a little small, going to be a bit of a pain to get my wires connected, esp the ones that need 2 wires connected

Back