What are you doing with homebrew today?

Trying to source some more base malt...does anyone know of an online retailer that will double mill grains? Homebrew Supply used to, but they sold the site to MoreBeer, which doesn't.
I can help you out, let me know.

Experiminting with a lower wattage boil and extra stirring in the mash. IF I'm guessing right, Shady Boh should come out at about the same ABV, at a slightly higher volume. Probably lose 3-4 ibu's, but it's a malt driven beer anyway.
Efficiency was up 1 point, from 73% to 74%(was expecting 2), volume is up from 5.5 to 6 gallons(2500w boil vs 3500w). Will be a touch lighter than usual,

Couple of takeaways not brewing this weekend ah well drinking instead;)
20220702_095932.jpg

Woke up with a 100' fever and feel like crud. Anybody want to come over and aerate this wort and pitch yeast for me?

I just crushed the grain for Herms Azacca Wheat Ale! @Herm_brews - I wish I could say I copied the recipe exactly but I just didn't have all the same ingredients... No 2 row - so I used Floor Malted Bohemian instead. - I have actually never used 2 or 6 row barley so I am not even sure how different it will be! Used the last of my American White Wheat so I hit 33% wheat versus 42... Don't have Azacca hops so I'll use something else - probably Cascade but maybe Summit?

I guess I'm not actually making Herms Azacca Wheat Ale! LOL - But I'll be mashing in an American Wheat Ale tonight that will hit very similar numbers! (My first American Wheat Ale at that!) I haven't made a Wheat Beer in a couple years! Like 3-4 years!

Kegged a “Saison” brewed with the new(ish) Lallemand Farmhouse non-diastaticus yeast.

Went from 1.052 —-> 1.008. About 85%. All grain malt bill, 90 minute mash at 152, no sugar added, fermentation temp went from 66F at pitch to about 74F at peak yeast activity before falling back to around 68. Sample at packaging was really nice. Definite Saison character, a bit of lemon, spicy bite, nothing funny or “off”. Looking forward to this.

E98F0136-2785-4E0F-BC07-9C26A35CA711.jpeg

Last edited:
Woke up with a 100' fever and feel like crud. Anybody want to come over and aerate this wort and pitch yeast for me?
Ugh. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'd stop by but its a 10 hour drive.

I bottled my w00t stout clone that I have been bulk aging since November. Even without carbonation it tasted great! Lots of bourbon oak aromas and a vinous plum/raison flavor. Swirling in a wine glass shows it has strong legs like a good wine. Really looking forward to drinking this one over the next few years.

I added CBC-1 yeast to the bottling bucket. In the past, when I didn't re-yeast at bottling, the beer never carbonated properly.

Larry I’ve read about that yeast at bottling/cask conditioning let us know how it works out.

I bottled my w00t stout clone that I have been bulk aging since November. Even without carbonation it tasted great! Lots of bourbon oak aromas and a vinous plum/raison flavor. Swirling in a wine glass shows it has strong legs like a good wine. Really looking forward to drinking this one over the next few years.

I added CBC-1 yeast to the bottling bucket. In the past, when I didn't re-yeast at bottling, the beer never carbonated properly.
That sounds awesome. Did you age it in a bourbon barrel?

Back