"Mexican" lager

Jon Meuzelaar

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I'm trying to come up with good late summer lager and settled on something akin to the love child of Corona and Bud Light Lime. But assume that child got a haircut and a real job. You know. Something you'd actually serve your friends.

I have arrived at ¡Americano! (with a nod to Roger Clyne): https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1285448/americano-

I'm looking for something fairly dry but with a little bit of corn tortilla and a dose of lime (hence the Motueka). I'm open to suggestions on adding lime zest, juice, whatever. Any input from anyone?

Maybe a cream ale with some lime zest would work. Light, refreshing, and a touch of lime should be nice. My buddy makes a pretty decent lemongrass cream ale. In a few days I will add some coconut to a cream ale I made. I used torified maize in my cream ale so it has a little corn like sweetness - might give you the perception of tortillas.....anyways I have never made a lager but a cream ale is simple beer to make.....just as with any beer.....difficult to make a great one. My buddies and I tried to make a blond with a margarita flavor.....it turned out ok but honestly the lime is a little overpowering and bitter in that beer but I think it tastes like a decent rendition of a margarita..... I would just tone down the lime next time and add a couple more shots of tequila. So be careful of how much lime juice/ puree you add. Hope that gives you some ideas.

So I'm trying to come up with good late summer lager and settled on something akin to the love child of Corona and Bud Light Lime. But assume that child got a haircut and a real job. You know. Something you'd actually serve your friends.

I have arrived at ¡Americano! (with a nod to Roger Clyne): https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1285448/americano-

I'm looking for something fairly dry but with a little bit of corn tortilla and a dose of lime (hence the Motueka). I'm open to suggestions on adding lime zest, juice, whatever. Any input from anyone?
Permission error.

I think it looks great! 31% Flaked Corn might be pushing the envelope, but you said "corn tortilla" is what you are after, so I say go for it. Should pair well with a nice slice of lime.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

I would personally tone down the corn a little.....10% to 15% is about all you need IMO. Also, add some lime peel or a little lime juice.... not too much as I think a little goes a long way. I wouldn't use more than about 4 oz in 5 gallons based on my experience if you just want a subtle lime flavor.

I'm open to suggestions on adding lime zest, juice, whatever. Any input from anyone?
So what part of the lime are you looking for? Bud lime uses lime juice*. Corn tortilla has two main flavors, corn (like corn flakes) and salt. You probably don't want the salt, but maybe you do. The hops will suggest lime but not like lime juice might.

Lime zest or peel will add aroma but only a little flavor, slight bitterness if you use the white pith as well. Bitterness much less than what the hops might deliver. The zest delivers lime oil, which might affect head retention.

3 lbs corn is a lot, IMHO way too much. You can get that flavor from corn flakes cereal. Try this: Get a corona or plain Bud light. Add a bit of corn flakes cereal (measure how much, start small and add more later), let it 'flavor up' about a half hour, then taste. Repeat until you have a good idea of how much corn you want. Corn flakes add some salt too, but not a ton. If you use corn flakes, consider doing it as a dry hop, added when fermentation is nearly completed.

Same experiment, this time with lime juice. 2 drops at a time until you get what you are looking for. Then cut it a bit, as you really want it just perceptible and not overwhelming.

My 2 cents worth. You might find something different.

*As far as I can tell. Maybe lime juice concentrate or essence, but not oil.

Re: corn, that's kinda what I was wondering. I plagiarized from another recipe, and I have never used corn before but it did seem like more than I would expect. I'm not really looking for salt, more just the corn / bready tortilla flavor. I'm thinking I can dial the flaked maize back by 50% since it's probably better to not have the flavor than have way too much of it.

For lime, I've used fresh orange zest, lemon zest, but never lime. I know some fruits (like grapefruit) can taste like hot garbage when fermented so as long as lime is not one of those, I'm fine with adding any part of it except the pith. Even though I hate math, I like your idea of using it to figure out how much juice I would want.

Re: corn, that's kinda what I was wondering. I plagiarized from another recipe, and I have never used corn before but it did seem like more than I would expect. I'm not really looking for salt, more just the corn / bready tortilla flavor. I'm thinking I can dial the flaked maize back by 50% since it's probably better to not have the flavor than have way too much of it.

For lime, I've used fresh orange zest, lemon zest, but never lime. I know some fruits (like grapefruit) can taste like hot garbage when fermented so as long as lime is not one of those, I'm fine with adding any part of it except the pith. Even though I hate math, I like your idea of using it to figure out how much juice I would want.
Yeah, if you drop the corn down to 15% - in my opinion - you won't get any "corny" flavor, just a lightening of the body. Not sure that you would notice a difference between corn or rice at that percentage. *Maybe* a touch of sweetness if you squint. Would still be a great beer but maybe a bit different than your original description??

Following.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pith of any if the citrus.
I do not find it bitter, but even then, I figure it is so little, you won't notice it in comparison with the hop

I wouldn't worry too much about the pith of any if the citrus.
I do not find it bitter, but even then, I figure it is so little, you won't notice it in comparison with the hop
Depends on when it's being added. I did a grapefruit ale a while ago with peel added to the boil and was not very careful about the pith. Came out VERY bitter

Depends on when it's being added. I did a grapefruit ale a while ago with peel added to the boil and was not very careful about the pith. Came out VERY bitter
Good to know
I would not have expected that.
My bad :oops:

Yeah, if you drop the corn down to 15% - in my opinion - you won't get any "corny" flavor, just a lightening of the body. Not sure that you would notice a difference between corn or rice at that percentage. *Maybe* a touch of sweetness if you squint. Would still be a great beer but maybe a bit different than your original description??

Following.

I have a really good Cream Ale with 12% flaked corn and the corn flavor is barely noticeable (which is what I want). So, you definitely need more to have the corn flavor stand out; maybe 20-25%? Be sure to use rice or oat hulls to prevent a stuck sparge.

I have a really good Cream Ale with 12% flaked corn and the corn flavor is barely noticeable (which is what I want). So, you definitely need more to have the corn flavor stand out; maybe 20-25%? Be sure to use rice or oat hulls to prevent a stuck sparge.
Agree. I use 16% flaked corn in my Cream Ale. Nothing “corny” about it that I can tell.

Ok so I got super busy and got this brewed at the end of July, didn't have the stuff to make a starter for the yeast, cut the lagering short so I could keg it and....

Yeah it is exactly what I was going for. It's good on its own, it is light and K-RISP, but a hint of corn. Gonna grab a lime or two and it's getting served with some grilled halibut and chimichurri this afternoon.

Back