Does OG reflect trub loss in recipe builder?

Reaction score
If I've set up my equipment profile correctly for losses in the kettle then does the recipe builder's OG account for that when I've set the fermenter as my target for batch size?

For background - I'm doing a 3 gallon batch of a Pliney clone and am counting on losing about 2 quarts of total loss with all the hops. I'm confident I've accounted for this loss in my equipment settings and it looks like my boil size (5.25 gallons/90 min boil) is correct as well. When I look at my pre-boil gravity however, it seems too low. A quick double check with the dilution and boil off calculator seems to confirm that I hit target gravity if I boil to 3 gallons but am short if I boil to my ending target kettle volume of 3.5 gallons.

Thanks

it does not, you can either add it in Hops Absorption and Misc Losses or just do what most people do and add 1/2 gallon more per 5 gallons batch to the recipe to account for yeast and trub, then you adjust your fermentables to account for the extra volume

so for a 5 gallon batch you would set it as 7.5 starting boil and 5.5 ending boil then that extra 1/2 is for losses from yeast trub and extra wort left

Ok thanks. I was noticing that as I increased numbers for losses in my equipment profile, water requirements were adjusted in the mash calculator but gravity never changed. I guess those loss numbers are mainly for water requirements, which is still helpful.

By the way, I brewed your Sierra Nevada Pale clone a few months back - came out great!

Well I brewed yesterday and hit all my pre-boil numbers. I went for a little higher volume than originally planned and started with 5.75 gallons of wort @ 1.050 (taken by refractometer), boiled for 90 min down to 4.0 gallons (kettle volume). My final OG was only 1.066 (taken by hydrometer)!

The dilution and boiloff calculator says that I should have made it down to 1.072 under these conditions. Did I just really mess up taking my initial gravity reading or is there an issue with the equation here in Brewer's Friend?

Also, to correct I ended up boiling a very small concentrated wort of DME on the stove for 10 min (then cooling in ice bath) to get OG where I wanted. I added this after my yeast pitch - about 1.5 hours later. I mixed it up again after the concentrated wort was added and hit it with another 20 seconds of oxygen. Other than not getting the hop utilization I was expecting and maybe underpitching my yeast because of the slightly higher volume, should I expect any problems from correcting this way?

Well I brewed yesterday and hit all my pre-boil numbers. I went for a little higher volume than originally planned and started with 5.75 gallons of wort @ 1.050 (taken by refractometer), boiled for 90 min down to 4.0 gallons (kettle volume). My final OG was only 1.066 (taken by hydrometer)!

The dilution and boiloff calculator says that I should have made it down to 1.072 under these conditions. Did I just really mess up taking my initial gravity reading or is there an issue with the equation here in Brewer's Friend?

Also, to correct I ended up boiling a very small concentrated wort of DME on the stove for 10 min (then cooling in ice bath) to get OG where I wanted. I added this after my yeast pitch - about 1.5 hours later. I mixed it up again after the concentrated wort was added and hit it with another 20 seconds of oxygen. Other than not getting the hop utilization I was expecting and maybe underpitching my yeast because of the slightly higher volume, should I expect any problems from correcting this way?

You will not have under pitched. It is the best you could do to bring factors other than the hop utilization into line. I too have had frustration with The Recipe Builder's pre-boil estimate and have decided to ignore it. It is always way low and I believe it is due to it not taking into account the boil-off set in equipment profiles but instead uses about 1.5 gal. My profile is set to .5 gal. Too many beers have ended up low because I added water at the start of boil to come closer into line with the recipe estimate. I was 8 points under OG on my last brew so did some back tracking using dilution/boil off calculator and found that the estimate was 7 points low. That amounts to about a gallon and 1/2 liquid boil-off in order to have reached projected OG. This has happened too many times. From now on I'll do my own estimate. No matter what i changed my profile boil off to, it did not change the pre-boil gravity estimate.

Back