What are you doing with homebrew today?

Cold crashing. Moved Light Yardwork to the serving keg from fermenter last night after a night of cold crashing seven days into fermentation. Will continue crashing for a while to let settle further and lager. Hit 1.007 vs expected 1.011 FG, which made up for four points lower on OG. Sample tastes very promising.

Toasting some coconut for a Coconut Porter. Smells great!

4F352D54-04D6-4C46-9FE8-E174864309D2.jpeg

Odd, gravity stayed at 1.030 since this morning. Also no extra gas to push the psi higher on my spunding valve. Mash temps were good. Fermentation started great.

Unless it's a dodgey tilt reading?
I thought that. Also possible I actually got the spunding valve at a perfect 15 psi but I doubt it. It’s a lager so I don’t expect the krausen to be super active

What would cause this? Yeast was active and the starter was a huge pitch right after high Krausen.
Rouse the yeast ?
I did about 5 hours ago. Working a softball game. I’ll hopefully see a change when I get home.

Spunding valve was whistling when I got home and this morning still at it. Gravity also moving. I think it got too cold.

Last edited:
Bru-1 hops are great... pineapple and peach... mmmm
I hope so because three brews down the road I'm going to add Bru-1 to a Kveik SMaSH (Maris Otter & El Dorado) I brewed last summer. I hope to accentuate the pineapple aroma that I get from El Dorado & WLP521. I should probably change the name to Kveik SMaDOH (Single Malt and DOuble Hop)?

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:
Drinking a glass of Voss cider. Only made 4 bottles.
Was disappointed in the first one and thought it had to be the lower temperatures we have been having.
But now I don't think so. It just needed longer in the fridge. And I actually know that. And still.....

Also checked on my saison.
It's definitely been fermenting as the refractometer reading is much lower than initially.
After correction, I should be sitting at an FG of 1.002!
But it wasn't the best of samples, so won't be bottling yet. Just wanted to onow if it was actually fermenting.

One thing: it is sitting on a boatload of hops. Should I angle the fermenter a couple days before bottling to get them away from the spigot? Or syphoning to bottling bucket (which I am not keen on)?

Back