Late fermentable addition, wrong ABV

Doddles

Premium Member
Reaction score
I frequently add sugar to the fermenter part way through the fermentation. I've tried using the Late Addition: Fermenter option (using the web-based Brewer's Friend). It adjusts the OG and FG fine, but the estimated ABV ends up way off (presumably because the OG is being used without taking into account the added sugar).

Is this a known bug? I saw something similar mentioned on an earlier post (ticket #1496?) but that was supposedly fixed.

Would also be great to have a "Late Addition" type of log entry.

Thanks!

I frequently add sugar to the fermenter part way through the fermentation. I've tried using the Late Addition: Fermenter option (using the web-based Brewer's Friend). It adjusts the OG and FG fine, but the estimated ABV ends up way off (presumably because the OG is being used without taking into account the added sugar).

Is this a known bug? I saw something similar mentioned on an earlier post (ticket #1496?) but that was supposedly fixed.

Thanks!
I know there is a late addition function in the recipie creator in fermentables that might help

I know there is a late addition function in the recipie creator in fermentables that might help

Yep - that's what I'm using. But it doesn't seem to calculate the expected ABV correctly, given what you put in there.
For example, if I include 1kg cane sugar for a 24L batch, as a fermenter addition it only adds 0.17 to the ABV. That is entirely due to the lower FG, not the alcohol from fermentation of the extra kilogram of sugar.

Thanks @Doddles.

We have an existing ticket to fix this, I'm adding this forum thread to that ticket and will followup when this gets fixed. At this moment we're focusing on other issues so I don't have an ETA on a resolution at this time.

Thanks @Doddles.

We have an existing ticket to fix this, I'm adding this forum thread to that ticket and will followup when this gets fixed. At this moment we're focusing on other issues so I don't have an ETA on a resolution at this time.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Yes the fix should be only to the ABV, since the OG remains the same. they should just take the OG add the sugar points and calculate the ABV from that. Using my tilt I can see about a 6-7 point increase on a 6 gallon batch. see attached graph. note OG did not change but 6-7 points were added along the way.

Attachments

• Image 6-23-22 at 1.26 PM.jpg
    Image 6-23-22 at 1.26 PM.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 45

I second this. Had a brew day where I completely missed my pre-boil gravity so I added DME to compensate. Would be nice to have a way to track that in the brew recipe rather than updating the recipe and the efficiency. I suppose this is what snapshots are for, eh?

Any update on this? I also am using the "late fermenter addition" option to exclude late sugars from the post-boil OG, but how do I tell the software that I've actually added the sugars and they should now be part of the gravity calculation?

Any update on this? I also am using the "late fermenter addition" option to exclude late sugars from the post-boil OG, but how do I tell the software that I've actually added the sugars and they should now be part of the gravity calculation?

That’s a tough one- since the ABV is based on OG-FG, so it would have to be added to the calculator as a late addition for that to show. But you can document all of it in the brew log when you brew the batch.

Back