grain water absorption

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just curious what the water absorption is, esp for the BIAB brewers ;)
I think I may be pushing out too much wort, causing some cloudiness in the beers.
I don't have my figures here, but I think it's about 300-400 gr water absorption per kg grain

I have mine set to 0.35 qts/lb. I don't squeeze, that's all gravity. I used to squeeze, but I never noticed an impact on clarity. All that stuff should fall to the bottom eventually
My thought exactly.

I do squeeze, even more than that, i built a "cider press" to get every drop. Between gelatin and cold crash. Can get crystal clear

Thanks
I thought maybe it has an impact.
Maybe I should just keep my beers a bit longer, but that's going to be difficult!
I don't mind then hazy at all, as long as the taste is good

A little late to the party, but I use 1/2 quart per pound.

Sorry not going to convert all this to metric, and this is all based on non BF data.

Generally mashtun brewers get 0.125 gal/lb. If you lift the bag and allow to fully drain, or do moderate squeezing, you'll get around 0.08 gal/lb. If you squeeze/press very aggressively you'll maybe go down to 0.07 gal/lb. If you just let it drain mostly via lifting until it slows down, then drop it, or do very light squeezing it'll be around 0.09 gal/lb.

Those are very standard and common numbers gathered from thousands of brewers across multiple brewing community sites. I'm curious what it would look like from BF data, I'll add that to my free time to do list.

Last edited:
And wort clarity and finished beer clarity isn't a simple relationship. There's a bunch of other things in play, like yeast health and pitch rate, wort composition, what happens during the boil, what you transfer to the fermenter, etc. that are probably more important to finished beer clarity than the wort clarity after the mash.

I use a conventional system - false bottom in a MLT - and use the default 0.5 qt/lb.

I worked mine out and I am quite low at around 300 gram per kg grain

there isn't really any magical number to calculate grain absorbtion. There are too many factors, there is what grain you're using (i.e. rolled oats, wheat etc vs regular grain) and it can change based on what supplier you have. We have some suppliers who have very small grain and some that are much larger

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm with @Mark Farrall. If you want clarity you need to be more worried about using fining agents (IRISH MOSS AND WHIRLFLOC) what your mash temp is, and if you are REALLY worried about it, do an extra long boil.

You can also rack into a secondary fermenter, but that is too much risk to oxidise for myself

As @Trialben said in another thread, "clarity only counts with judges." I would not worry about it if you like the taste.
Appearance counts for 3 points of a possible 50. Haze may cost you two. If the beer tastes good, haze is not much of an issue, even in competition.

Back