Bottle crates/boxes

lakeguy77

Premium Member
Reaction score
Anybody found a particular reusable plastic crate/box that works really well for transporting bottles? The cardboard boxes I use are getting really ratty and many have been thrown out. I do almost entirely 355ml longnecks with the odd batch of stubbies for fun. I transport regularly from home to my lakehouse on the weekends, so something that packs 24 bottles in nice and snug would be ideal.

I bought 24 empties and the box it came in is very sturdy. Designed for shipping glass bottles

I have a couple of 12 case bombers like that. I put 2 collapsed 6 pack containers in the bottom of a 24 case for stability and weight bearing then put the bottles in 4 more 6 pack holders. I must have about 6 of these.. I'd say the oldest is from 2018 and holding up fine and to add an ironic observation, the case that came the furthest is the most flimsy..Heineken!

Vintage-Falstaff-Beer-Crate-Yellow-Plastic-12-Compartment.jpg

I got two of these 24 bottle plastic cases. Years ago Northern Brewer had them in their St Paul store. I picked them up for like 5-6 bucks. Now when I go on line and look for them, they are "vintage" or "rare" and they want a fortune for them. If you can find a couple for a reasonable price, they work well and hold up nicely. I don't think they are all that "rare".

I first had a bit of a laugh, then I realised that you probably don't have returnable bottles....
I just buy a crate and use that (and the bottles after drinking them)
IMG_20211221_073529.jpg

hen I realised that you probably don't have returnable bottles....

Returnable Bottles? Hell, I can't get the recycler to take glass anymore! One of the most ideal substances to recycle and there are no takers!

Miller High Life sold cases with returnable bottles when I first moved into Minnesota twenty-five years ago . But that is a blast from the past, the bottles and the liquor store are gone now.

Miller High Life sold cases with returnable bottles when I first moved into Minnesota twenty-five years ago . But that is a blast from the past, the bottles and the liquor store are gone now.

I remember those days. Although my dad couldn't afford to live the High Life so he bought Huber instead. The best part for us kids was that they gave each of us a pretzel rod!

I got two of these 24 bottle plastic cases. Years ago Northern Brewer had them in their St Paul store. I picked them up for like 5-6 bucks. Now when I go on line and look for them, they are "vintage" or "rare" and they want a fortune for them. If you can find a couple for a reasonable price, they work well and hold up nicely. I don't think they are all that "rare".

With that Falstaff brand name on the side, yeah, I can see them becoming collector's items. I haven't seen Falstaff down here in the South in AGES, certainly not since barcode marking became commonplace. Wasn't it brewed in Milwaukee along with Bud and Miller?

I'm thinking I need to do some more projects with reclaimed pallet slats. They'd be a little on the heavy side, though. Sturdy, but heavy. Might be a good use for the slats from lighter duty pallets. Perhaps a combination of carton and frame to support another carton? I've got couple 6-pack crates with an opener on one end that the kids gave me. They're pine, and had no barriers between the bottles. That was easily solved some 1/4 project board and a box knife. Hmmm, I may give this a try soon. I need something a lot more substantial than cardboard boxes. Albeit, the boxes do a great job of shielding light, so I'll probably have to do something for a shade on the shelves where I store my brews. Wouldn't want to skunk a batch after bottling.

That is straight out of Jerry Jeff Walker song..."He sure does love, his Falstaff beer..."

Returnable Bottles? Hell, I can't get the recycler to take glass anymore! One of the most ideal substances to recycle and there are no takers!
Same here, plastics and paper only in the recycle bin. There are still a few places around that'll take 'em, but ya gotta drive for miles to get to them. Easier to make it the landfill's problem, and a lot less expensive. I'm not sure why our recycle pickup excludes glass. My guess is that it's just a bit more hazardous to handle (breakage, shards on the road, etc).

I can remember a time when glass companies were BEGGING for glass to recycle, and some places even started fining folks for putting glass in landfill waste. I used to do some service work for a glass company (Brockway Glass) in Montgomery, AL years ago. One of their biggest customers and one of the last to get away from glass bottles was Coca Cola. The process for (MELT IT) recycling is a lot easier than making new, and obviously more efficient. They'd have mountains of crushed recyclables that they would use to add to their virgin glass for the bulk. That let them use a lot less of the purifying chemicals and remelt takes a lot less energy/fuel than refining. No difference in the sintering, though. Still gotta relieve the stress in a cooling bottle the same way. The piles of recycle stock were absolutely gorgeous. Crushed clear glass looks like a mountain of snow or sugar, green like a huge pile of mint ice cream, and brown like a mountain of gold. Brockway's long since gone the way of the dodo bird down here, though. Another stable employer destroyed by the plastics industry. The plant was so old it would have cost a fortune to automate and update it.

And I was probably listening to the referenced song as a new hit when I was doing the work down there.

Last edited:
As more manufacturers switch to plastic, there is less demand for glass and therefore less money in recycling it. So, like most other decisions it comes down to money.

Honestly...
Hard to believe. Home country (the Netherlands) recycles 80% of glass (non returnable) and has stated that is not enough!
https://www.wur.nl/en/project/Furth...tage-of-recycled-glass-in-the-Netherlands.htm
I really can't understand why recycling of glass is such a problem in the usa and canada
It's economics. Cheaper to use virgin plastic than to recycle glass. Our single-stream recycling service still takes glass...
We don't even use multi-use bottles. One way only.

Back