Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20211031-104650.png
Brewed this yesterday. I actually ended up with 3.25 gallons at 1.055

Last edited:
What does "double dip" mean?

Add the other 1/4 gal of water. Bet your OG will be spot on

Did a double dip on the recipe; not sure how to fix it.
If they are images, edit the post and delete one instance. Or delete all images and re-add just one instance.

Look for the "Attach" tag(s)

Add the other 1/4 gal of water. Bet your OG will be spot on
There isn't an other 1/4 gallon as I ended up with 1/4 gal more than planned with a slightly higher O G than I hoped for. This was my first go at BIAB and I really had no idea where I'd end up gravity wise.

There isn't an other 1/4 gallon as I ended up with 1/4 gal more than planned with a slightly higher O G than I hoped for. This was my first go at BIAB and I really had no idea where I'd end up gravity wise.
Ah ok, i misread it. Nothing to worry about then. Either go with the higher grav or add water to hit the grav you wanted. I do that most of the time since I mash with less water than I intend to finish with

@Steve Ruch You need to have something entered for your brewhouse efficiency - 75% might be a good starting point, then adjust as you learn your process. I have been using 75% brewhouse efficiency for my past several batches, and ending up with higher than expected OG. For my next batch, I am going to adjust my efficiency up to 80%, which will slightly reduce the amount of grain I use.

@Steve Ruch You need to have something entered for your brewhouse efficiency - 75% might be a good starting point, then adjust as you learn your process. I have been using 75% brewhouse efficiency for my past several batches, and ending up with higher than expected OG. For my next batch, I am going to adjust my efficiency up to 80%, which will slightly reduce the amount of grain I use.
Haven't figured it out yet.

Ah ok, i misread it. Nothing to worry about then. Either go with the higher grav or add water to hit the grav you wanted. I do that most of the time since I mash with less water than I intend to finish with
I going with it as is. This was an exploratory batch to see what I'd get.

Haven't figured it out yet.
Just start with a number, like 75% so that you can establish a baseline. Presumably, you are using a recipe builder outside of Brewer’s Friend, whatever it is, it wants that efficiency number to build from. Your OG and grain bill should all be dependent on some assumed brewhouse efficiency. So if you set it at 75%, and use the same amount of grain, then your OG should rise or fall, to some degree. Just try entering something in your recipe builder to see what effect it has.

Just start with a number, like 75% so that you can establish a baseline. Presumably, you are using a recipe builder outside of Brewer’s Friend, whatever it is, it wants that efficiency number to build from. Your OG and grain bill should all be dependent on some assumed brewhouse efficiency. So if you set it at 75%, and use the same amount of grain, then your OG should rise or fall, to some degree. Just try entering something in your recipe builder to see what effect it has.
I don't use a recipe builder.

I don't use a recipe builder.
Ah, understood.

One can definitely calculate a recipe by hand. You just need to know the values for each fermentable.

But give the Brewer's Friend recipe calculator a try. You might want to look at someone else's recipe just to get the idea of what goes where, then enter your recipe and just look at every single thing that you can change and try to understand what it does. I bet after the first time you'll be surprised how easy and useful this tool can be.

Oh, I know, but geez, for a biab little homebrew recipe, 6 minutes into the calculator wouldn't be a strain.

A friend homebrewer has a neighbor who works at a mid-size local brewery, but has never brewed at home. Ever.

The point is, the tools that professional Brewers use are very different from the tools available to home brewers.

Steve has just published his 8th article in Zymurgy, so no, I don’t imagine he is a novice brewer. But I would expect that he should know about efficiency and recipe building. I’m just trying to offer the guy some help with what he asked about. He doesn’t have to take heed of what I offer.

Last edited:
Steve has just published his 8th article in Zymurgy, so no, I don’t imagine he is a novice brewer. But I would expect that he should know about efficiency and recipe building. I’m just trying to offer the guy some help with what he asked about. He doesn’t have to take heed of what I offer.
I'm always willing to listen to the experiences and advice of others. I am acquainted with recipe building having been generating my own recipes for over 20 years, but I wasn't actually asking anything, just reporting about my first attempt at BIAB.
(Brag alert) The current Zymurgy has my eighth Last Drop; I've had several feature articles published also. And three articles in BYO.

I'm always willing to listen to the experiences and advice of others. I am acquainted with recipe building having been generating my own recipes for over 20 years, but I wasn't actually asking anything, just reporting about my first attempt at BIAB.
(Brag alert) The current Zymurgy has my eighth Last Drop; I've had several feature articles published also. And three articles in BYO.
I stand corrected - you did not ask. I will try to stay in my lane. Good luck with your brewing.

Back