Anyone used Northern Brewer’s Irish Red?

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Brewing an Irish red tomorrow. Using Maris otter for base grain about 90-92% that part I’m good. I have the specialty grains from the Northern brewer kit I was going to use for the rest since I have it, it’s a little old but... It doesn’t have the typical 6% Crystal (split between lighter and darker) and 2% roast. Should I just trust the pros and use it? Or my own?

whats the worst that happen?

I like wyerman carared. nice Roast and amber color

Their kit just has biscuit, caramel pils, Chocolate, special roast. No cara red in it.

Their kit just has biscuit, caramel pils, Chocolate, special roast. No cara red in it.

That'll get you there! The special roast and chocolate will give you the color and flavor, and with the biscuit in it, it will enhance the dry finish. It's different, but I think it sounds great to me!

That'll get you there! The special roast and chocolate will give you the color and flavor, and with the biscuit in it, it will enhance the dry finish. It's different, but I think it sounds great to me!
Here are the percentages. If you think it gets me there I’ll roll with it. Minus the caraffa. I just put that for color
8579C5F7-CEB9-41AB-86BE-8D13B9B53CC4.png

That looks tasty! I’m only this complicated since it was packaged by someone else haha.

My first home brew was a Northern Brewer Extract kit. It was a few years ago so I don't remember the ingredients but, it turned out pretty good I think.

Here are the percentages. If you think it gets me there I’ll roll with it. Minus the caraffa. I just put that for color View attachment 17111

You don't need the carafa, but it won't hurt of course. I actually like the looks of that recipe quite a bit! You may not get much of a red color, more brownish(?) but I think it'll taste great.

Back