How do I get Mash pH to appear within my recipe views?

Silver_Is_Money

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I just worked through an all grain recipe and it says it is linked to the advanced water calculator, where I can see my mash pH as 5.46. But this pH reading never gets transferred over to the recipe view, which continues to state 'N/A' in the Mash pH field.

I just worked through an all grain recipe and it says it is linked to the advanced water calculator, where I can see my mash pH as 5.46. But this pH reading never gets transferred over to the recipe view, which continues to state 'N/A' in the Mash pH field.

Hi Leo! When you are done with the calculator, go back to the recipe view, and click "update recipe" right by the green "link" button. That will incorporate the calculator into the recipe, and include your additions and water target.

We're hoping to simplify that process in the future, so manually clicking the buttons back and forth aren't necessary but @Yooper is definitely more familiar with our chemistry system than I am so I let her take those questions!

We're hoping to simplify that process in the future, so manually clicking the buttons back and forth aren't necessary but @Yooper is definitely more familiar with our chemistry system than I am so I let her take those questions!

I'm looking forward to the water calc integration as well! But until then (and hopefully that's going to be coming soon), these two clicks are necessary to get it to be fully integrated into the recipe.

Hi Leo! When you are done with the calculator, go back to the recipe view, and click "update recipe" right by the green "link" button. That will incorporate the calculator into the recipe, and include your additions and water target.

It's Larry. :)

Hi @Yooper , No amount of combinations of going back and forth from the 'Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator' (the section that I've been referring to as the 'Advanced Water Calculator) to the recipe editor ever adds my mash pH to the recipe section. I've tried saving, plus saving and updating, linking, unlinking, re-linking, hitting 'update recipe', re-saving and updating, etc... and I'm not getting anywhere.

Also, once I've made the jump to the 'Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator', how do I make the jump back to the recipe editor? I can't figure that one out either.

DUH!!! I know it's Larry. I'm sorry about that.

Hi @Yooper , No amount of going back and forth from the 'Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator' (the section that I've been referring to as the 'Advanced Water Calculator)to the recipe editor ever adds my mash pH to the recipe section. I've tried saving, plus saving and updating, linking, unlinking, re-linking, hitting 'update recipe, re-saving and updating, etc... and I'm not getting anywhere.

Can you give me a link so I can take a look?

I made it public, and it is at this link:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1172609

It is linked to 6QSVXZS

One of those should get you there....

Sorry for the delay- we had an early dinner. Anyway, the reason for the lack of the water calc attaching is that it only attaches for recipes where there is a mash. So, all-grain, BIAB, even partial mashing would allow a water calc to attach. Since this is defined as an “extract recipe” with steeping grains only with 72% efficiency, it won’t allow a water calculator.

7CF22420-B5B4-4834-B840-DF6585CB7D26.jpeg
F05D7755-9973-46C2-9E16-D894BD54E896.jpeg

If you change the method to all grain, the water calc will pop in for you.

@Yooper , my thanks to you for pointing out my mistake in completely overlooking this field. I changed it to read 'BIAB' and the Mash pH popped in as soon as I hit 'update recipe'. Sorry for occupying so much time with my silly mistake.

@Yooper , my thanks to you for pointing out my mistake in completely overlooking this field. I changed it to read 'BIAB' and the Mash pH popped in as soon as I hit 'update recipe'. Sorry for occupying so much time with my silly mistake.

No worries at all! That’s what I”m here for. Well, that and to talk about beer................:)

While we want the software to be intuitive, there is a lot of information that has to be inputted so it’s easy to miss something small like this. I used to hate when I had questions about a (different) software company, and they’d be like “we need to see a screenshot”, and now I’m sort of chagrined when I say that we need to see it, but it’s the best way to quickly troubleshoot an issue.

Hi @Yooper , No amount of combinations of going back and forth from the 'Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator' (the section that I've been referring to as the 'Advanced Water Calculator) to the recipe editor ever adds my mash pH to the recipe section. I've tried saving, plus saving and updating, linking, unlinking, re-linking, hitting 'update recipe', re-saving and updating, etc... and I'm not getting anywhere.

Also, once I've made the jump to the 'Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator', how do I make the jump back to the recipe editor? I can't figure that one out either.
To go back to recipie from water calculator it's in a different "Tab".
So when I'm done faffing with my water Ions I click that update recipie button and then go back to recipie tab.
Screenshot_20210714-060416_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back