Humpty Dumpty English Bitter is likely a dumpty

Finally kegged my Humpty Dumpty English Ale. Took six hours to move from fermenter because the couplers were all backwards and then I had to hook up others, etc. That said, beer is actually very interesting. I want to make it again because I know I did not get all the complex flavors. But need help. I have the gas at 12 psi. But the beer is coming out flat. What am I doing wrong?
You kegged it today? It isn’t going to be carbed up and ready to drink at 12 psi. That will will take a week or so

Yeah it'll take a week or so at 12psi to get any fizz.

You kegged it today? It isn’t going to be carbed up and ready to drink at 12 psi. That will will take a week or so
What should I turn it up to? What temp do you suggest? I had been told at 38 degrees 12 psi. I had the temp higher and they said that I needed to up the gas.
Can you help? Thanks.

Thanks. I just watched a video and realized there is a whole other process when kegging. I guess I will keg my porter tomorrow. Since it is going to be two weeks, it should do fine fermenting at the cold temperatures.

What I normally do is set the regulator to 30 to 35 PSI, and leave it for 24 to 36 hours. Next step is to disconnect the gas, vent the keg, turn the pressure down to you 12 PSI and reconnect. It may take a day or two to settle out where you want it.

Question
How long are your beer lines?

What Craig said. 12 psi takes a couple days at least. 40 psi could be overnight.

What I normally do is set the regulator to 30 to 35 PSI, and leave it for 24 to 36 hours. Next step is to disconnect the gas, vent the keg, turn the pressure down to you 12 PSI and reconnect. It may take a day or two to settle out where you want it.

Question
How long are your beer lines?
Too long! But I kept them until I was sure I could cut them. I can pull them out and move tanks away from kegerator. Kegerator actually has wheels even though it is going in a built in i can always move them. there are lines inside the kegerator which are separate from what goes to the co2 tank. I would love NOT to have to wait 2 weeks to drink beer so I will def try the 30ish psi for a couple of days.
I am getting ready to keg a porter and just read porters and stouts should be with nitro and a totally different spout. WHat is your suggestion about this?

Patience. Good beer is not to be rushed....
hahaha. Yes, but this one went through hell to get made. I made so many mistakes with the new equipment. I upped it to 32psi and will run like this for 24 hours. then will purge tank and set it at 12 psi. That is what is suggested.

Up it to the 30 pound mark and rock it back and fourth , you will hear the CO2 getting sucked up.

Last edited:
The reason I ask about the length of your beer lines is that there is a balance between line length, line diameter, and serving pressure.
I personally use 10 foot long (3 meters) lines that are 3/16" (4.75mm) inside diameter, and serve at 10-12 PSI. This gives me the carbonation level that I like, without too much foam when pouring. The length of line, combined with the small diameter, actually reduce the pressure and the flow rate at the tap. A larger diameter line would need to be longer to achieve the same result. I think that the folks that get metric sized tubing use 4mm ID beer line, or maybe 5mm, I'm not sure. There is a chart for this somewhere, google may help you with that:D

Please correct me if I am wrong metric folks!

The reason I ask about the length of your beer lines is that there is a balance between line length, line diameter, and serving pressure.
I personally use 10 foot long (3 meters) lines that are 3/16" (4.75mm) inside diameter, and serve at 10-12 PSI. This gives me the carbonation level that I like, without too much foam when pouring. The length of line, combined with the small diameter, actually reduce the pressure and the flow rate at the tap. A larger diameter line would need to be longer to achieve the same result. I think that the folks that get metric sized tubing use 4mm ID beer line, or maybe 5mm, I'm not sure. There is a chart for this somewhere, google may help you with that:D

Please correct me if I am wrong metric folks!
When did Canada go metric?

My beer line is 4mm internal diameter and around 4 metres length. I'm thinking about shortening mine as the mini-regulators I've put in the setup don't make a difference. It seems the length of the line has more influence on the dispensing flow than the pressure, which sits at about 20 psi for the soda water.

We officially went metric in the 70's, but I grew up with feet, inches, gallons, fahrenheit etc.
There is so much here that is still imperial though, we are kind of bilingual

Probably that influence to the south. Apart from height and new born weight, I hardly find anyone using imperial units here.

Up it to the 30 pound mark and rock it back and fourth , you will hear the CO2 getting sucked up.
That is some serious brewing DIY hardware there!
Probably get that keg fully carbonated in under 30 minutes!!!

upload_2021-7-12_9-9-22.png

Probably that influence to the south. Apart from height and new born weight, I hardly find anyone using imperial units here.

The metric system make too much sense for us to adopt it here. :rolleyes:
In the mid-70's I was in high school and was assigned to debate the metric system in speech class. Fortunately I got the pro-metric side of the debate and won easily. It made so much sense, I couldn't imagine why we wouldn't adopt it. Boy was I naïve!

Funny tangent. My speech teacher was Mrs. Fehr (pronounced 'fear'). She had a banner above the chalkboard that read "You have nothing to fear but Fehr herself". :D

I never knew it was so complicated! I just stick to imperial and translate to metric (I'm fluent) as needed.
I measure water in gallons, hops and water chemicals in grams, and grain in pounds.
When cooking, I tend to eyeball it a lot.

Not sure if I shared this elsewhere, so here goes.

In Newfoundland they were considering changing to driving on the left like in England.
The plan was to start with the trucks and see how that went before fully committing!

Back