What are you doing with homebrew today?

Give the beer a couple days to finalize, but no need to wait on packaging if you need the fermenter tomorrow.

Thinking about it, I too could use a second fermenter. I just have no place to temperature-control two fermenters. And that might generate too much beer (there is such a thing).
I have others just want to use the keg to ferment the lagers I’m planning

Getting edumacated! :D I started a free MOOC from the University of Leuven on the science of brewing offered through edX. The course is designed to take 10 weeks, but like any MOOC, it can be completed at your own pace. Week 1 covered the history of beer making and the basics of brewing. Next week is all about malt. I'm hoping to better understand the chemistry behind the brewing process and how to taste beers more effectively for desired vs. off- flavors.

After seeing @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews Cali Common I’m moving that up and brewing it tomorrow
Getting edumacated! :D I started a free MOOC from the University of Leuven on the science of brewing offered through edX. The course is designed to take 10 weeks, but like any MOOC, it can be completed at your own pace. Week 1 covered the history of beer making and the basics of brewing. Next week is all about malt. I'm hoping to better understand the chemistry behind the brewing process and how to taste beers more effectively for desired vs. off- flavors.
awesome

It was spunded at the end. Not super carbed since it didn’t dropped enough but there was effervescence, that pic was after it settled so I could read the hydrometer. I’ll try another pull tomorrow and decide whether to keep it or not. I need that keg to ferment in Tuesday. Good part of small batches. If it sucks I lost $10 but got the practice of brewing another batch. There was a slight off flavor or at least it was to me. I tasted some spice from the yeast but it was something else. Could simply be a personal preference. I’ll make sure I get another taste before I decide.
The one and only DW I made was nearly a dumper for me as well. It came out of the gate with a nice taste but a very strange aroma. Musty, if I remember correctly. Not like laundry, but more like an old basement. Sounds delish, no? I’ll blame the yeast because clearly it couldn’t have been my fault. :rolleyes: Thing is, the taste was good enough for me to keep drinking and after a while, I either got accustomed to the aroma or it noticeably dissipated. Probably a bit of both. Wasn’t one of my best efforts, but by the end I came to terms with it. (Reason #312 as to why I’m grateful for being a small batch brewer: even substandard beers don’t last long.). If nothing else, it gave me a base for my next attempt. Don’t dump it yet.

Transferred the Dunkelweizen, we’ll see...I do get a lot of clove but something just doesn’t taste right. I’ll give it a shot. Cleaning the fermenting keg now. Will brew a 50/50 Munich Vienna lager tomorrow.

Added this to fermentor a Spice addition #2
200g Tumeric
100g ginger
3/4 cup cane sugar
1g SMB
Boiled paint strainer bag
Added above cane sugar first followed rest
Let cool pitched into fermentor.
20210706_191012.jpg

@Trialben Ben, I assume those ingredients were in the bag? Did you make any attempts to sanitize the ingredients, or just the bag?

Tore the spray shield (poster board) off my corona mill assembly after my last brew, reinstalled it today. Before it was taped to the outside of the bucket and even with me taping the inside seams grain would either get stuck in or escape out those seams. Had enough of that. Unscrewed the 2x4 that goes across the bucket to hold the mill and stuck the poster board in and screwed it back in so now the bottom edge of the poster board sits about inch below the inside top edge of the bucket. Now about to mill the grain for a witbier I'm planning for Thursday. Hoping it does the trick

@Trialben Ben, I assume those ingredients were in the bag? Did you make any attempts to sanitize the ingredients, or just the bag?
Yeah as in method in post dude!

Ok so I boiled paint strainer bag in situ
Added cane sugar dissolved and 're heated to boil
I pealed all the roots cut them added 1g SMB (a preservant and oxygen scavenger) to the mix.
Added roots to bag.
Let this sit in pot until cooled.
I know 30mins at 70c is enough pasturisation that contence was hotter than that.
Also this is a post fermentation addition so I feel more comfortable.
Anyhow if ever you add fruit spice additions it'll give you food for thought:).

Last edited:
Went to my new LHBS for the first time! They ground the specialty grains for me and had everything on my list at about the same price that MoreBeer did. And there's a brewery attached to the shop, so now I'm sitting at a bar imbibing :D pretty great outing

Last edited:

Back