What are you doing with homebrew today?

Not to make you paranoid but I found when bottling sometimes that krausen ring on the bottle could mean sign of an infection...

Don't over think it but ;);)

Today I'm sceaming how I'll get my ginger brew day done whilst juggling baby duties and wife duties it is raining and weather is crap this is usually when I get the kettle out.
Gotta pic up a paint strainer bag I'm gunna use this for my WP addition of Ginger and Tumeric oh and lemon myrtle leaves I'll no chill this in the kegmentor overnight then pull the bag in the morning when I pitch the yeast. Smart eh:confused:...

I’m no expert, but I don’t think your bottles will carbonate in the fridge. The fridge might put your yeast down for a nap, but might they awake when temperatures warm? Wiser folk may provide a better response than mine.

Officially an infection. This was the last bottle I filled in my small sample batch, and since it was only filled half way it shows it better,
C39EA5D2-E271-462E-AA2C-5FE0BD7F1F3E.jpeg
but they are all similarly gross. Am a bit ashamed to even share the photo, but in the interest of science (and horror shows), here it is with all its gory details. My first and hopefully last experience with this. Happened prior to bottling, based on other bottles and the halt in fermentation. Time to triple up on cleaning and sanitizing….

Officially an infection. This was the last bottle I filled in my small sample batch, and since it was only filled half way it shows it better, View attachment 16463 but they are all similarly gross. Am a bit ashamed to even share the photo, but in the interest of science (and horror shows), here it is with all its gory details. My first and hopefully last experience with this. Happened prior to bottling, based on other bottles and the halt in fermentation. Time to triple up on cleaning and sanitizing….
If they are infected and it's all the bottles I would wager it happened during the bottling process but prior to the bottles. I've had flaws that I thought were infection that really had more to do with my mash and water, I've had true infections and they happened while bottling but they were limited to a few individual bottles. Your bottles are probably fine if you clean them thoroughly and sanitize them properly. I'd use PBW solution or diluted bleach in all of them. Once they're thought clean and sanitized I just rinse them thoroughly and dry/store upside down. Then prior to bottling I use a faucet mounted bottle sprayer like this (mine is all brass though but same idea):
blst.jpg

Once they're sprayed out I hold them up to the light to visually inspect for debris. Then I use my pump bottle sprayer filled with starsan to sanitize the inside. They then go back upside down in the rack till they're filled. I do all this in the 45 minutes or so while I'm allowing the priming sugar in the bottling bucket to mix with the wort. Since I started using the faucet sprayer I've had zero infected bottles.

I really think your infection is before that though. I'm assuming you sanitized everything? You added yeast, did you sanitize the packet, scissors and all that before pitching? No scratches in your fermenter or bottling bucket? No gunk in any spigots or nozzles? Tubing? Make sure all that stuff is clean and sanitized, throw out anything that may be scratched, replace any tubing that may be soiled. I've bought new plastic tubing like 3 times just to be safe. It's so cheap that it's really not worth the risk if you're unsure about it. I hope that helps, not trying to be too preachy but I know how much it sucks to have to pour all your money and hard work out (or suffer through drinking subpar beer) because it didn't come out right. I hate that. I hope the next batch turns out better for you.

Thanks @SabreSteve. I’ve been pretty good at sanitizing each step of the way, going through StarSan at a healthy clip, but clearly this time I missed something.

Thanks @SabreSteve. I’ve been pretty good at sanitizing each step of the way, going through StarSan at a healthy clip, but clearly this time I missed something.
Could be something where the starsan can't get to it. Like I said, scratches are bad cause sometimes bacteria can hide in there. Just also make sure there's no gunk in any spigots or any of your siphoning equipment. It sounds like you know what you're doing but just remember than cleaning is separate and every bit as important as sanitizing. It can't be fully sanitized if it's not clean. I had that ground into me as a teenager working in fast food:D

I think that it is safe to say that we have all had an infected batch at some point in our brewing careers, I know that I have had a couple of dumpers myself. I was fretting after each one, but quickly regained my confidence.

Running the grains through the Kitchen Aid grain mill for tomorrow’s Stout. I’m almost out of my beer and considering the last beer I made was a pseudo-Barleywine that won’t be had until the holidays…I’ve got nothing in the pipeline. :eek:
I need to step on it. Hoping to get to the Grodziskie next!

3397E022-7C26-4C85-A5C6-160A6A51C596.jpeg

Officially an infection. This was the last bottle I filled in my small sample batch, and since it was only filled half way it shows it better, View attachment 16463 but they are all similarly gross. Am a bit ashamed to even share the photo, but in the interest of science (and horror shows), here it is with all its gory details. My first and hopefully last experience with this. Happened prior to bottling, based on other bottles and the halt in fermentation. Time to triple up on cleaning and sanitizing….
You tasted any of them? That's the ultimate In ok I've got a problem here...

Watching my Dunkelweizen sit at 1.025 for the second straight day. Brewed on Monday. Should have been only a few points left by this point. Not sure what is going on with it. The first night the temp got down to 60 since we had a cold night but it warmed up that next day and took off. Only attenuated about 50% :(
So I checked the gravity it read 1.023 on the tilt and hydrometer. Only dropped 0.02 in the last week or more so it done. Taste is slightly sweet but not what I would expect being under attenuated. It doesn’t really taste very good though
image.jpg

So I checked the gravity it read 1.023 on the tilt and hydrometer. Only dropped 0.02 in the last week or more so it done. Taste is slightly sweet but not what I would expect being under attenuated. It doesn’t really taste very good though View attachment 16487
Don't give up on it yet may be some carbonation Will point it in the right direction.

So I checked the gravity it read 1.023 on the tilt and hydrometer. Only dropped 0.02 in the last week or more so it done. Taste is slightly sweet but not what I would expect being under attenuated. It doesn’t really taste very good though View attachment 16487
Hm. That's unwelcome.

Is it carbonated? That does make a difference. Should be not bitter, some fruitiness and some malt. Banana odor for sure.

What do you taste?

Hm. That's unwelcome.

Is it carbonated? That does make a difference. Should be not bitter, some fruitiness and some malt. Banana odor for sure.

What do you taste?
It was spunded at the end. Not super carbed since it didn’t dropped enough but there was effervescence, that pic was after it settled so I could read the hydrometer. I’ll try another pull tomorrow and decide whether to keep it or not. I need that keg to ferment in Tuesday. Good part of small batches. If it sucks I lost $10 but got the practice of brewing another batch. There was a slight off flavor or at least it was to me. I tasted some spice from the yeast but it was something else. Could simply be a personal preference. I’ll make sure I get another taste before I decide.

Last edited:
Dunkelweizen is one of those extremely difficult to do right styles. Once in a while I try one just to refresh my humility....

Spice like clove, spice like bread dough (yeast), or spice like melted plastic? If necessary, sniff some clove to refresh yourself on what it smells like?

I agree it is not as easy as regular (light) hefe, having a bit more malt and caramel, but it is also hard to screw up much.

Spice like clove, spice like bread dough (yeast), or spice like melted plastic? If necessary, sniff some clove to refresh yourself on what it smells like?

I agree it is not as easy as regular (light) hefe, having a bit more malt and caramel, but it is also hard to screw up much.
ill give it another taste tomorrow. Just got back from my grandparents’ house. Today is their 62nd birthday. We always have food and fireworks on their anniversary since it’s in the 4th. They Live out in the country so there is plenty of room. Too tired for beer. It was a good night though

Last edited:
Give the beer a couple days to finalize, but no need to wait on packaging if you need the fermenter tomorrow.

Thinking about it, I too could use a second fermenter. I just have no place to temperature-control two fermenters. And that might generate too much beer (there is such a thing).

Back