Submersible pump

Sebrina

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi again.
I am still working out how to use a submersible pump to run the beer through the chiller that comes with the all in one brewing system by grainfather. I had actually purchased a chiller that hooks up to fermenter (was not aware at time) instead of the all in one. It uses the same lines as the glycol chiller. So I cannot really use that though it did give me another set of tubing for my other fermenter.
I don't want to stress my glycol chiller to bring down 212 degree wort temps.
Has anyone just used an aquarium pump or pond pump to circulate the ice water from a cooler? What I want to do is have it continue to circulate through cooler. FL water is 85 degrees and it takes WAY too long with a hose and lots and lots of wasted water.
I purchased something yesterday from Home depot but it needs a drill. They sold me the wrong thing. Help!
Sebrina

Hi again.
I am still working out how to use a submersible pump to run the beer through the chiller that comes with the all in one brewing system by grainfather. I had actually purchased a chiller that hooks up to fermenter (was not aware at time) instead of the all in one. It uses the same lines as the glycol chiller. So I cannot really use that though it did give me another set of tubing for my other fermenter.
Has anyone just used an aquarium pump or pond pump to circulate the ice water from a cooler? What I want to do is have it continue to circulate through cooler. FL water is 85 degrees and it takes WAY too long with a hose and lots and lots of wasted water.
I purchased something yesterday from Home depot but it needs a drill. They sold me the wrong thing. Help!
Sebrina

So I found pumps that are being sold through beer stores for exactly what I need but got it through Amazon cuz I had some points and instead of forty got it for six dollars. ANyway, I am quite sure my problem is solved and I will be able to chill my beer quickly before I transfer to the fermenter then chill with my glycol chiller while it ferments. THanks.

Nice, I run cold water through a pond pump into the immersion chiller.

Nice, I run cold water through a pond pump into the immersion chiller.
The chiller from the grainfather is not the immersion chiller but those that use it swear by it. I am excited to make more beer this weekend. Did not want to make any until I solved these issues.

Sounds like a good plan.

I wonder if a submersible pump can handle 212 F. Worst case, it breaks. Meh.

Hi again.
Sebrina
You'll want to run the chilled water through the chiller if possible to avoid potential contamination. Maybe that's why you are having the issue. The pumps we use in brewing are designed to move hot liquids about, a pond pump is not. Point 2 for moving the chilled water and not the wort.

Doesn't the grainfather have an onboard pump? If so run the wort through that pump. A submersible pond pump would be good for recirculating chilling water through. You will need A LOT of ice. I would start by running your ground water to chill as much as it can, then switch to recirculating through ice water.

Sounds like a good plan.

I wonder if a submersible pump can handle 212 F. Worst case, it breaks. Meh.
Good point. However, it will not be in the hot water. It will be in the ice water pushing the cold water through the chiller. It will spill back into the cooler of freezing water. If it warms it up I will put another gallon frozen jug. Been saving my water containers to use them for this. NOw that you said that however, if it does break, I will buy from the beer company. THey said it could handle that temp. But no one should be having it in that hot water.

You'll want to run the chilled water through the chiller if possible to avoid potential contamination. Maybe that's why you are having the issue. The pumps we use in brewing are designed to move hot liquids about, a pond pump is not. Point 2 for moving the chilled water and not the wort.
Absolutely! This is a grainfather all in one brewer. The water I will pump through there will NOT be running through the wort. It will be running through copper pipes at the same time the wort is running and recirculating itself. It is a counterflow wort chiller that comes with the system. Sits on top of the system, and before cooling it down the wort gets run through the wort part of the chiller to get sanitized at 212 degrees. Five minutes. THen I start the pump so the water starts running through the pipes to cool down the wort recirculating in the counterflow chiller back into itself, cooling it all down. Many have said if I do it slow, I can basically move the wort right away as the chiller does cool it down pretty quickly to 80 degrees. My glycol chiller will do the rest in the fermenter.

Good point. However, it will not be in the hot water. It will be in the ice water pushing the cold water through the chiller. It will spill back into the cooler of freezing water. If it warms it up I will put another gallon frozen jug. Been saving my water containers to use them for this. NOw that you said that however, if it does break, I will buy from the beer company. THey said it could handle that temp. But no one should be having it in that hot water.

This is how I do it.

The cold water does not mix with the wort. The circulating cold water is in a different pipe than the recirculating wort in the grainfather.
By running the wort through the cold chiller it continues to cool itself as well.

Yeah, put the pump in the cold water and never the twain shall meet correct? I just use a big oil drum to hold my water.

I would recommend getting the largest pump you can for the price. My first pump was not enough because the chiller restricts the flow. They usually have 2 or 3 flow rates within a $10.00 price range. Get the largest you can.

I use an aquarium pump in a coleman ice chest to pump thru an immersion chiller. The pump cost $13USD on amazon and came with adapters for different size tubing. It is not as fast as some of the setups but it works. Downside, have to buy ice on brew day. Snow works great in the winter.

Snow works great in the winter.
So with me being in Atlanta, it means I can brew maybe once every 4 years?

I use the brew fridge to also make ice, so in the summer (when groundwater is around 75 F) then use the ice to cool the groundwater further.

Back