Calibrating refractometer

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered a refractometer, after my hydrometer arrived broken.
But it has total different scales from my one still in storage and now I am struggling to find out how to calibrate it.
Scale 1:
Water. 12.0 - 27.0 %

Scale 2:
Brix: 92-58 %

Scale 3:
Be°(?)
4.3 - 3.8

20 oC (I assume thats the calibration temperature).
The manual only gives an ecample of calibrating with distilled water to a gravity of 1.000 (for which there is no scale)

Please help! :eek:

I've never seen anything like that- is it maybe for aquariums? Do you have a link so we can see what you've got?

Yeah that sounds super weird.

But it has total different scales from my one still in storage and now I am struggling to find out how to calibrate it.
Scale 1:
Water. 12.0 - 27.0 %

Scale 2:

Scale 3:
Be°(?)
4.3 - 3.8

The manual only gives an ecample of calibrating with distilled water to a gravity of 1.000 (for which there is no scale)

Brix is not a percent scale. I have a refractometer in Brix and it is 0-30 brix. there is really nothing to calibrate with these devices. they just work as far as I know. only consideration with it is that you cant measure gravity post fermentation. (at least not without a calculation to adjust for the alcohol)

Brix is not a percent scale. I have a refractometer in Brix and it is 0-30 brix. there is really nothing to calibrate with these devices. they just work as far as I know. only consideration with it is that you cant measure gravity post fermentation. (at least not without a calculation to adjust for the alcohol)
Check out these BF pages for more info on refractometers, including how to calibrate and determine correction factor

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2013/...rrectly-for-maximum-accuracy-in-home-brewing/

https://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor/

Scale 1:
Water. 12.0 - 27.0 %

Scale 2:

Scale 3:
Be°(?)
4.3 - 3.8

Those numbers look like syrup. Are you sure you got the right scaled instrument?

I am very confused as well.
It's this one:
https://www.amazon.nl/gp/aw/d/B07PD9PVQN?language=en_GB&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
(Although I paid quite a different price for it)

I'm just wondering if I can set my own sort of zero point with water and a second point with another known solution (like you do with a pH meter) and work out a conversion table for myself?
It's confusing but I believe you got one more suitable for honey than wort. The Brix scale should go to zero. The calibration pictures show calibration at zero, the others show a Brix scale that doesn't go that low.

I am very confused as well.
It's this one:
https://www.amazon.nl/gp/aw/d/B07PD9PVQN?language=en_GB&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
(Although I paid quite a different price for it)

I'm just wondering if I can set my own sort of zero point with water and a second point with another known solution (like you do with a pH meter) and work out a conversion table for myself?

This is from that page, and this looks fine to me:
upload_2021-6-18_10-24-34.png

When you look through it, up to the light, do you see that brix scale, from 0 to 40 (or whatever they have for the top limit)? If so, that's how it should look. To calibrate, use the pipette to draw up pure water, put a few drops on the screen, close the top and smooth it to make sure there aren't any bubbles, and look through the it while holding it up to the light. It sound be right on 0.

It's confusing but I believe you got one more suitable for honey than wort. The Brix scale should go to zero. The calibration pictures show calibration at zero, the others show a Brix scale that doesn't go that low.
I think so too....
Is there any way I can fiddle with the set points?

This is from that page, and this looks fine to me:
View attachment 16262

When you look through it, up to the light, do you see that brix scale, from 0 to 40 (or whatever they have for the top limit)? If so, that's how it should look. To calibrate, use the pipette to draw up pure water, put a few drops on the screen, close the top and smooth it to make sure there aren't any bubbles, and look through the it while holding it up to the light. It sound be right on 0.
Unfortunately , that is not the scale I see/have.
The manual also says to calibrate with water to zero. But the scales really are as I said in the first post.
It's definitely not the clearest description what this refractometer is for.

Can I make up a known solution to check?
Something like 10 gr sugar per litre water to give ? brix/sg or so?

I think so too....
Is there any way I can fiddle with the set points?
No, that's dependent on the prism. If you have the instrument I think you have, it won't go low enough to measure wort.

I suppose I have to sell it on to someone who fiddles with honey.
I'm not having much luck here. First a broken hydrometer, now a refractometer that doesn't work for beer. At least it ain't broken (but I can't fix it)

Back