Cracked bottles

SabreSteve

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So I was pouring a cream ale earlier and I noticed a long deep crack on the inside of the neck of the bottle. I of course through out the bottle but was just surprised. This is only the second bottle I've had crack (although I've broken others) and I think the first one that actually leaked a bit was banged around the fridge. I don't think I've over-carbed the bottles. Could it be from the bottle capper? I had the cap flop off once and actually crushed the neck of the bottle. Is it just from being reused several times? It's really not a big deal I'm just curious.
Like how often do those of you that bottle encounter cracks and how often do you replace bottles?

I bottled for about a year before getting into kegs, but still bottle some batches. I guess I have been lucky, haven't had any issues with bottles breaking. I use the 500ml bombers, and sometimes 650ml bottles.

In my two and a half years of brewing, all of my beer has been bottled, so far without problem. However, my wife’s cider project, now in its third batch, has already produced a broken bottle. It was a 500 ml swing top, new on its second filling. The bottle broke in the neck, where the wire swing clips to the bottle. Tough to lose 1/7th of a batch.

There is definitely a difference in the typical glass 12 oz that gets put back into service. Commercial brewers use as thin walled of a bottle that they can get by with. It's like the heft of a pint glass compared to a wine glass! Those single use, thin walls are less weight, less expensive and that translates into lower transportation costs. Pick up a 12oz. bottle that you buy at your LHBS and you can feel the difference!
My personal experience is that I've lost a hand full over the years but whatdayawant fa nothing?

I've never had an issue. I've used mostly Sam Adams bottles and German Beer bottles (Weihenstephaner, Erdinger, etc.). Pretty lucky I guess.

I've never had an issue. I've used mostly Sam Adams bottles and German Beer bottles (Weihenstephaner, Erdinger, etc.). Pretty lucky I guess.
My bottles are mostly Sam Adams with some Saranac and other smaller local breweries thrown in. Already took out the trash so I'm not positive what it was but I thought Sam Adams. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. I went up to 4.0 vols on my first brew not knowing better but even if it's a bottle from that batch they've been used multiple times since

some of my bottles are 4 years old, been reused many many times. only ones I have ever broken was crushed by the capper, lol.

some of my bottles are 4 years old, been reused many many times. only ones I have ever broken was crushed by the capper, lol.
Yeah I've done that. I'm wondering is it possible for the capper while capping to crack the neck without crushing?

Yeah I've done that. I'm wondering is it possible for the capper while capping to crack the neck without crushing?
no doubt it is possible. it is also possible that it just had a defect or a stress fracture that didnt show up till you peeled the cap back.

So I was pouring a cream ale earlier and I noticed a long deep crack on the inside of the neck of the bottle. I of course through out the bottle but was just surprised. This is only the second bottle I've had crack (although I've broken others) and I think the first one that actually leaked a bit was banged around the fridge. I don't think I've over-carbed the bottles. Could it be from the bottle capper? I had the cap flop off once and actually crushed the neck of the bottle. Is it just from being reused several times? It's really not a big deal I'm just curious.
Like how often do those of you that bottle encounter cracks and how often do you replace bottles?

Given the fact it is a rare occurrence for you (and hasn’t happened to me at all), who cares WHY it cracked? There’s an infinite number of reasons it could be attributed to so why be concerned? Unless of course it is a frequent occurrence. I bake my bottles in the oven to sanitize/sterilize and supposedly this weakens them; however, no sign of a problem — yet!

Given the fact it is a rare occurrence for you (and hasn’t happened to me at all), who cares WHY it cracked? There’s an infinite number of reasons it could be attributed to so why be concerned? Unless of course it is a frequent occurrence. I bake my bottles in the oven to sanitize/sterilize and supposedly this weakens them; however, no sign of a problem — yet!
I have never done that. Clean on my bottle washer and sanitize with starsan. Never had infected bottled

It's definitely possible your capping put just enough pressure to expose a weakness in the bottle but not enough to break all the way through. Especially if it's in the neck. It's also possible it's just a defect in manufacturing. I've had a few of those where I can't feel any sharp edges. I just throw them away. Gives me an excuse to buy more craft beer! I've always bottled. When I started eight years ago I probably broke about 1 of 75 bottles while capping. Now it's less than 1 of 750.

I have never done that. Clean on my bottle washer and sanitize with starsan. Never had infected bottled
I live in an 854 sq ft 1 bdrm condo with a small kitchen to brew in — 5-6 gall batches. I store my brew stuff in 3-4 places so each time I brew, it is a bit of an ordeal to get it out, brew, and store it all away. Bottle washers are great but just something else I’d have to find a storage spot for and it would be messy to use with my divided sink and limited counter top space. When I drink a beer, I immediately rinse it 3x, spray Star San in it and rinse later and it let drain dry. I store them by the case and then bake ‘em the night before I bottle. Then when I bottle in the kitchen, I remove them from the oven to fill ‘em. I’ve never had a bottle infection or any infection. Frankly, I’m a bit surprised given the crappy small space I brew in. Yet I’m proud of the outcome. One thing I’ve learned is you really don’t need as much equipment to brew a good 5 gallon batch as some will claim you do — especially the people selling it. Although I admit to liking “the stuff”

@DannyMike One might argue that one never has enough equipment, but as with most things, more doesn't necessarily lead to better.

Baking the bottles above 200F or so will sterilize them, and with little air infiltration into a closed oven, reinfection risk is small.

A good rinse is (mostly) all I ever do.

@DannyMike One might argue that one never has enough equipment, but as with most things, more doesn't necessarily lead to better.

Baking the bottles above 200F or so will sterilize them, and with little air infiltration into a closed oven, reinfection risk is small.

Another example of many ways to reach the desired outcome. I do 305 degrees F at 2.5 hours. Otherwise, I’d probably do something like you. I read about using the oven in Palmer’s “How to Brew” and given I have only a smallish double kitchen sink I use for actual kitchen duties, it has been a good option.

The sanitize cycle on the dish washer will, too.

Back