What are you doing with homebrew today?

Took 2 minutes to get all the gear ready for tomorrow’s Barleywine. Go big or go home, as they say.

B96D7463-A3D3-4A42-9225-19BBC888889B.jpeg

Took 2 minutes to get all the gear ready for tomorrow’s Barleywine. Go big or go home, as they say.

View attachment 16193
Oh yeah hope it goes to plan from my one I did a few years back id dial back your efficiency setting a bit and have some DME handy ti prop up gravity if need be.

Me I just pitched the yeast for Gesture cleaned recieving keg cleaned kettle cleaned beer lines and put everything to bed.

Oh yeah hope it goes to plan from my one I did a few years back id dial back your efficiency setting a bit and have some DME handy ti prop up gravity if need be.

Me I just pitched the yeast for Gesture cleaned recieving keg cleaned kettle cleaned beer lines and put everything to bed.
Yes sir.
I lowered my efficiency for sure as you say…a built in fudge factor. I don’t have DME, but I’m adding some corn sugar to the boil for some cheap and easy gravity points. And I crushed my grains super fine. The goal is somewhere in the mid 90’s, but I’ve never pushed it this far before so the error bar will be quite large. We shall see. If I miss my numbers I just won’t call it a Barleywine, I’ll find another style that fits. ;)

Mash underway!

Took 2 minutes to get all the gear ready for tomorrow’s Barleywine. Go big or go home, as they say.]

First batch with the new water?? I hope you didn't move to coastal Virginia!

Just packaged (31 pts) of Three Legged Dog a NEIPA. Wow even though I say so myself this is juicily FAB. My first NEIPA and I like them. The Verdant IPA yeast is an absolute monster!!! Lots of thick creamy krausen and loads in the fermenter. I have kept back a litre of it to see if I can use it again - at this rate I think I will.
A much welcome sample.
upload_2021-6-13_17-0-43.png

image.jpg
I just packaged this proper case of Herm’s Amber Ale. A sample tasted just as it should. OG was 1.058, FG 1.010 for 6.3% abv. Next weekend I’ll do a quality control check.
Cheers!

Additionally, I just poured off the yeast slurry (aka trub) into a sanitized mason jar for use in future brews.

Last edited:
And just as I finished adding dry hops to Memorial Day IPA, my wife says “Let’s make cider” so that is exactly what we did. On this gallon of Martinelli’s, we used Safale S-04. Oh yes, I also mixed up a pizza dough for a pie tonight.

Now I have started working on my copy of @AHarper ‘s recipe for Mannequin Pees, which I will need to research a bit to see what ingredients I can get from lhbs. I know I can get Maris Otter but not sure about Amber Malt or Crystal 90. It seems that I have seen Belgian candy sugar in one or both shops, and the hops and yeast should not be a problem. Hopefully I will have this lined up to brew next Monday.

Now I have started working on my copy of @AHarper ‘s recipe for Mannequin Pees, which I will need to research a bit to see what ingredients I can get from lhbs. I know I can get Maris Otter but not sure about Amber Malt or Crystal 90. It seems that I have seen Belgian candy sugar in one or both shops, and the hops and yeast should not be a problem. Hopefully I will have this lined up to brew next Monday.
The Amber Malt is pretty much a necessity. I like what upping the BU/GU ratio.

Took off the spunding valve. I’m at day 2 of 1.013 and some good pressure has built up. Was supposed to be 1.010 but it won’t get there. I had a mash issue I’m guessing is the issue. Rookie mistake. I never pay super close attention to my Gigawort during a mash other than an occasional stir. It didn’t read 152 where I wanted after 20 minutes so I turned the high watt button on. When it hit 152 I turned it off. Immediately it said 170, I checked it with a thermometer and it was 170. Took a while to get it back down in the 150s. But a few points won’t bother me.

Took off the spunding valve. I’m at day 2 of 1.013 and some good pressure has built up. Was supposed to be 1.010 but it won’t get there. I had a mash issue I’m guessing is the issue. Rookie mistake. I never pay super close attention to my Gigawort during a mash other than an occasional stir. It didn’t read 152 where I wanted after 20 minutes so I turned the high watt button on. When it hit 152 I turned it off. Immediately it said 170, I checked it with a thermometer and it was 170. Took a while to get it back down in the 150s. But a few points won’t bother me.
Brew, learn, repeat

Back