Adding hops and film on surface

alfapat

Trial Member
Reaction score
Usual recipe and added hops , but a fine film appears on the surface , is this significant as it’s not happened before. Any help appreciated quickly , nearly time for the keg !

There are oils in the hops so I would not be concerned

I might be concerned- where is the beer (bucket, carboy) and how long has it been there? Can you grab a photo of the film?

I might be concerned- where is the beer (bucket, carboy) and how long has it been there? Can you grab a photo of the film?
Bucket , I’m not at home so no photo yet. What are your concerns? Beer is at final stage, sitting at 1.012 SG about 11days

Last edited:
Is it a white or green film? white could be mold.

Bucket , I’m not at home so no photo yet. What are your concerns? Beer is at final stage, sitting at 1.012 SG about 11days
00908F6A-4506-4C0B-825C-855901E9D9DA.jpeg
Ok here is the Brew as it is

Yeah that's mold. Not good. If you are super careful you can transfer off but that's definitely infected.

Sorry dude, bad luck.

Yeah that's mold. Not good. If you are super careful you can transfer off but that's definitely infected.

Sorry dude, bad luck.
Perhaps just run off via tap to down near finish , that would be the hops then, at fault ?

Hops are anti-microbial so I doubt it though it's possible. More likely the bag you put them in probably had something on it. Or you coughed when you opened it to put the hops in, hard to say but I would bet it was the bag.

Hops are anti-microbial so I doubt it though it's possible. More likely the bag you put them in probably had something on it. Or you coughed when you opened it to put the hops in, hard to say but I would bet it was the bag.
Ok thanks the hood came sealed in a bag from brewers company , so will need to get back to them .

I've never seen that done before so I would be very suspect of it. Generally you would give the bag a good soak in starsan before using. Or just tossing the hops straight in to remove that risk.

I've never seen that done before so I would be very suspect of it. Generally you would give the bag a good soak in starsan before using. Or just tossing the hops straight in to remove that risk.
They have been immersed in boiling water before the bucket, as per instructions.

The bag was immersed? That should sanitize it but it is still the most likely culprit in my mind. Or the bucket might have had something in it. Just be sure to give it a real thorough cleaning and sanitization after this for next time.

Taste the beer before you go dumping it... if it is good, package it!

Absolutely, when packaging just make sure to be real careful not to disturb the film and leave a good inch of so of liquid between your transfer tube and the mold. I did it once myself a year or two ago and the beer tasted great.

Absolutely, when packaging just make sure to be real careful not to disturb the film and leave a good inch of so of liquid between your transfer tube and the mold. I did it once myself a year or two ago and the beer tasted great.
Many thanks for your replies guys and girls? , siphoned of and in Keg with sugar now last litre in a half litre bottles. Film disappeared or not as visible , will post result.

How did it taste?

Good idea to taste in case it tastes terrible, then you didn't waste the time bottling and kegging it. ;) No worries though.

Geterbrewed where the kit was from does say it’s infected , for the record.

Back