YUMMY Silver Porter

Sebrina

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am mashing the grains for the Silver Porter which is a recipe from the once San Francisco Anchor Porter. The grains smell delicious!!! I am so looking forward to trying this beer in about 3 months. I think it will be worth the wait!

I am mashing the grains for the Silver Porter which is a recipe from the once San Francisco Anchor Porter. The grains smell delicious!!! I am so looking forward to trying this beer in about 3 months. I think it will be worth the wait!
Just curious, why 3 months? Seems like you are trying to test your own patience. :)

Just curious, why 3 months? Seems like you are trying to test your own patience. :)
haha. Yes, it certainly will. It has a fermentation period. After that it suggests to make it the best it can be is to ferment at below 50 degrees for 50 days. probably more like 2 months and a week or so. It is ok not to do this. But I have two other beers being made or fermenting that will be available for Friday happy hour with friends. :)
I brother comes for a visit August. I will break it out then. I will of course try it along the way.

If you don't need the beer before then it won't hurt at all. I wouldn't wait that long intentionally.

haha. Yes, it certainly will. It has a fermentation period. After that it suggests to make it the best it can be is to ferment at below 50 degrees for 50 days. probably more like 2 months and a week or so. It is ok not to do this. But I have two other beers being made or fermenting that will be available for Friday happy hour with friends. :)
I brother comes for a visit August. I will break it out then. I will of course try it along the way.

Fermentation time and temperature are yeast dependent, what yeast are you using on this?

There are a number of Safale yeast strains available. Are you using one of these?

Screenshot_20210607-205225_Chrome.jpg

You say you are using Safale US05 at 50 F? Hmmm. I am hesitant to say that is a wonderful idea. But perhaps 10 weeks might make it happen. Would never consider doing that, personally.

At the best you get a really clean porter! This could be great.

At the worst, after 10 weeks it is not fully fermented. Just bump it up to 64 and give it a few more days, no problem. Not likely to be needed, but a very low risk backup plan.

It has a fermentation period. After that it suggests to make it the best it can be is to ferment at below 50 degrees for 50 days. probably more like 2 months and a week or so.
If I’m reading between the lines correctly, can I assume you plan to ferment this beer normally (the fermentation period) then (after that) pseudo-lager/age this beer below 50 degrees? Possibly a cold secondary fermentation?

Kind of interesting.

How do you plan on packaging this?

Ideal temperature range for US-05 is 15C(59F) to (22C)71F.
When I use US-05 I ferment at 19C, it is usually ready to bottle or keg in about 10-12 days. This yeast usually finishes around 1.008 to 1.010 for me
For a Porter I would be more inclined to use S-04, and mash at a higher temperature, say 155-156F it should finish a little higher, like as high as 1.018, leaving a bit more residual sweetness which you expect from a Porter. S-04 tends to work a bit quicker than US-05 for me. Personally, for a Porter, I will give a Porter fermented with S-04 a full 14 days to ferment out, and settle, then cold crash for about 3 days. I like to bottle Porters, and leave them to condition at room temperature for a month or four, or more.

Good luck with it!

upload_2021-6-8_6-59-24.png

You say you are using Safale US05 at 50 F? Hmmm. I am hesitant to say that is a wonderful idea. But perhaps 10 weeks might make it happen. Would never consider doing that, personally.

At the best you get a really clean porter! This could be great.

At the worst, after 10 weeks it is not fully fermented. Just bump it up to 64 and give it a few more days, no problem. Not likely to be needed, but a very low risk backup plan.
I will do that when I keg it

I will do that when I keg it
This is a recipe from Papazian's book. I made his extracts in the past and they were quite delicious. Been years and when I found equipment that is connected to an app and you can track it wirelessly I had to have it! So this is only 2nd batch with this equipment. The first batch is his also. Called Humpty Dumpty English Bitter. I made many mistakes with equipment. Anything that could go wrong, DID. And the beer did not smell or taste as delicious as this porter. But many have suggested I not give up on it. I am going to make a stout I ordered from a place here in FL. Looks like it is ready in only six or seven days. Just doesn't seem possible. It is a dry Irish Stout. The Wrath of Chaun.
Hopefully it will be good. My kegerator holds four kegs and has dual refrigeration. So I really want to do lagers for one side and dark beer for the other side. Very excited.

If I’m reading between the lines correctly, can I assume you plan to ferment this beer normally (the fermentation period) then (after that) pseudo-lager/age this beer below 50 degrees? Possibly a cold secondary fermentation?

Kind of interesting.

How do you plan on packaging this?
Hi,
Yes. It is being fermented at 70 degrees for 13 days. I have a grainfather conical fermenter with a glycol chiller. I don't need a secondary fermenter. It is all done in there. Once the fermentation is done I will turn the glycol down from 70 to the 45-50 range. Then let it age for the 50 or so days. (I will taste along the way) I will keg it afterwards and put it in my kegerator. The kegerator is dual zone. So I can have 2 kegs on each side and set a lager at a temperature and ales and stouts at their own temperature. Kegerator arrives today! This is all brand new. I am still waiting on kegs, co2 tanks, etc. Now I have to watch videos on kegging!!

Hi,
Yes. It is being fermented at 70 degrees for 13 days. I have a grainfather conical fermenter with a glycol chiller. I don't need a secondary fermenter. It is all done in there. Once the fermentation is done I will turn the glycol down from 70 to the 45-50 range. Then let it age for the 50 or so days. (I will taste along the way) I will keg it afterwards and put it in my kegerator. The kegerator is dual zone. So I can have 2 kegs on each side and set a lager at a temperature and ales and stouts at their own temperature. Kegerator arrives today! This is all brand new. I am still waiting on kegs, co2 tanks, etc. Now I have to watch videos on kegging!!
My 2c transfer to keg a leave that in your duel fridge to do it's 50 days thing then you free up your conical for more beer;).
I'd hate to transfer a 50day ferment into a keg and risk oxidizing it after all that time:rolleyes:.

My 2c transfer to keg a leave that in your duel fridge to do it's 50 days thing then you free up your conical for more beer;).
I'd hate to transfer a 50day ferment into a keg and risk oxidizing it after all that time:rolleyes:.
I was thinking the same thing:D

Ideal temperature range for US-05 is 15C(59F) to (22C)71F.
When I use US-05 I ferment at 19C, it is usually ready to bottle or keg in about 10-12 days. This yeast usually finishes around 1.008 to 1.010 for me
For a Porter I would be more inclined to use S-04, and mash at a higher temperature, say 155-156F it should finish a little higher, like as high as 1.018, leaving a bit more residual sweetness which you expect from a Porter. S-04 tends to work a bit quicker than US-05 for me. Personally, for a Porter, I will give a Porter fermented with S-04 a full 14 days to ferment out, and settle, then cold crash for about 3 days. I like to bottle Porters, and leave them to condition at room temperature for a month or four, or more.

Good luck with it!

View attachment 16127
Interesting. I am thinking more and more that I do not have to do this for that period of time and certainly not that low. You are making me aware that I MUST learn about yeast. That is truly important to fermentation.

Back