Humpty Dumpty English Bitter is likely a dumpty

Sebrina

Premium Member
Reaction score
Made my first beer with my grainfather all in one brewing, grainfather fermenter and glycol chiller. Let me say that ALL the equipment worked spectacularly and the recipes on the app were spot on when the next steps were necessary. However, as a novice, I made some big errors with equipment which caused me to have to dump the hot wort in fermenter and to use the gylcol chiller to cool it down. I messed up with chiller with amount of liquid (though I did what video said) and it was hours and hours before I figured out I should have the liquid in the tank up to the top.
I made so many stupid errors that I think the beer is ruined. I took a gravity reading this am and it is exactly at original gravity. I took a taste and was VERY sad. I am not familiar with English Bitter beer but if the taste is not good, should I assume the beer is ruined? I only have two fermenters and I have two more recipes that will need a couple of months. So I thought I would make something that doesn't need alot of time and will likely have to break down and buy another fermenter. I love these grainfathers. I can track its progress wirelessly no matter where I am.
Does anyone have an opinion about the beer being contaminated or just cooked poorly? Am I correct in thinking it should have had an acceptable flavor? The yeast is going to town.

If the yeast is "going to town" leave it be! Don't judge it until it is done. You can't rush the yeast, they are living organisms and proceed at their own pace.

What yeast did you use?
When did you pitch it?
What temperature are you fermenting at?

If the yeast is "going to town" leave it be! Don't judge it until it is done. You can't rush the yeast, they are living organisms and proceed at their own pace.

What yeast did you use?
When did you pitch it?
What temperature are you fermenting at?
I used Imperial yeast. It took hours for me to pitch it because of not being able to cool down the beer. So it was pitched late on Thursday night. I am fermenting at 69 degrees/70 degrees.

I used Imperial yeast. It took hours for me to pitch it because of not being able to cool down the beer. So it was pitched late on Thursday night. I am fermenting at 69 degrees/70 degrees.
Okay, so you pitched yeast 2 days ago, so, pretty much noatter what you pitched it will still need time to do its work.

Imperial is a manufacturer/brand of yeast. The have many, many different strains.

Which strain did you use?

Don’t rush it! In 2 days it isn’t going to taste like you think it should. I use imperial pub for my bitters. After 4 days you’ll hit final gravity or should. Then you need a few days for it to clean up. After 5-6 days you’ll get a better idea.

Okay, so you pitched yeast 2 days ago, so, pretty much noatter what you pitched it will still need time to do its work.

Imperial is a manufacturer/brand of yeast. The have many, many different strains.

Which strain did you use?
A09 Pub

Don’t rush it! In 2 days it isn’t going to taste like you think it should. I use imperial pub for my bitters. After 4 days you’ll hit final gravity or should. Then you need a few days for it to clean up. After 5-6 days you’ll get a better idea.
Since I had to dump it, there is alot of trub. Good news is that this fermenter has a trub dump at bottom. I will wait a couple more days to start dumping. I just took another try and it is amazing how much the taste has changed for the better. However, no way will this beer be at its best when done. Just too hot for too long.

See above. You pitched it less than 48 hours ago. It’s not ready to taste how you want it
I am going to make a porter today. Perhaps this will go better. at least all the equipment is put together and I am writing down the things I forgot as to not make same mistakes. Thank you for your reply.

Since I had to dump it, there is alot of trub. Good news is that this fermenter has a trub dump at bottom. I will wait a couple more days to start dumping. I just took another try and it is amazing how much the taste has changed for the better. However, no way will this beer be at its best when done. Just too hot for too long.
Yeah the trub won’t hurt anything. Pub flocs clear. I dump everything in my fermenter with no issues.

Willing to bet nothing is wrong with it. Did you add the yeast when it was hot or when it was cooled? A few hours in the fermentor chilling won't effect much.

As others. Let it finish

Lots of people "transfer" everything from the kettle into the fermenter, don't sweat this.
Leave it be, don't dump the trub it is fine, and I would suggest that you stop taking samples too. This yeast needs 10-14 days to do its job. Relax, brewing is not a race! I am sure that Mozart did not write any of his works in a couple of days...

Are you going to b bottling this batch?

Lots of people "transfer" everything from the kettle into the fermenter, don't sweat this.
Leave it be, don't dump the trub it is fine, and I would suggest that you stop taking samples too. This yeast needs 10-14 days to do its job. Relax, brewing is not a race! I am sure that Mozart did not write any of his works in a couple of days...

Are you going to b bottling this batch?
Hell beer even develops character after bottling/kegging. If it's drinkable, keep it. Learn, make it better next time

I sure hope we talked you off the ledge!

The most difficult, yet most important thing to learn in brewing is patience!

Welcome to Brewers Friend by the way. This is a really good community with a lot of very experienced, knowledgeable people. We are all happy to help, you did the right thing to post your question(s) here.

Good luck, and be sure and keep us up to date on how this turns out.

Even if it isn't a great beer, you made it! Brew, learn, repeat:)

Last edited:
Yeah, as everyone said, wait a week or two. It will be fine. Really.

After it seems like fermentation is done, that means it is halfway done. Wait for it. Let it sit several days, then package it.

Yeah, I agree with the others ;)
Let it be, give it time!
Patience is the most difficult ingredient :D

Back