Hop Crop 2021

Vesparados

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
They popped up again this year and look pretty happy. I extended the stringing this time.
hops 2021 A.jpg
hops 2021 A.jpg
Hops 2021 C.jpg

Attachments

• Hops 2021 D.jpg
    Hops 2021 D.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 54
Do you expect they will reach and exceed the top?

I planted my first lot of hops earlier this year, Phoenix, Chinook, Fuggles and Cascade but the Chinook hasnt survived. They others are doing well. Next year will be interesting as I don't expect much of a crop this one.

Looks like the early stage of Verticillium Wilt. Are the vines themselves swollen, and perhaps darker or brown inside?
If so, it's a fungus, use a fungicide, cut the nitrogen in the soil (e.g. stop fertilizing) and let the soil dry out much more often.

But the symptoms are very similar to Mosaic Virus or Apple Virus. This is carried by aphids. Take a careful and close look at the undersides of the leaves, aphids are tiny white bugs. See one, that's enough. Aphids cause other issues, so treat them in any case, even if Mosaic is not the problem.

The gentlest start is garlic/peppermint/neem oil and the like, Home Depot and others sell a mix of plant oils in a hose-attach bottle, a bottle is good for a season of treatments every 5-7 days. This, for example. The same company (Dr. Earth) sells a fungicide too. You can get stronger pesticides too, ask at a real nursery.

Also see the attached.

Attachments

• Hop_insects_and_diseases_ipm_acad.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 81
Thanks Duno..I'll take a closer look for aphids as that was what I first thought. As for the swollen bine, worth a look as my fertilizer is compost with a large amount of vegetable scrap and grass clippings but that was only an initial application in late winter....

I planted my first lot of hops earlier this year, Phoenix, Chinook, Fuggles and Cascade but the Chinook hasnt survived. They others are doing well. Next year will be interesting as I don't expect much of a crop this one.

The Chinook HAS survived. I left the skimpy root stock in place - it looked dead but I thought I'd leave it. Glad I did. It sprang into life and there are now 6 wonderfully green leaves on it. I plastered the surrounding with slug pellets... just in case.

I transplanted the hops I had growing in the garage. Picked a bad day to do it, too sunny and warm. They all looked like they got a major sunburn and the leaves turned whitish and died. They are starting to recover finally.
There was one plant with just a small sprout but I broke it when putting in a watering line. I think its a gonner. Don't see any new activity.

I transplanted the hops I had growing in the garage. Picked a bad day to do it, too sunny and warm. They all looked like they got a major sunburn and the leaves turned whitish and died. They are starting to recover finally.
There was one plant with just a small sprout but I broke it when putting in a watering line. I think its a gonner. Don't see any new activity.
Just leave it alone but water it. It doesn't want to die so will sprout again as long as the root conditions are good

Back