Finishing in the Bottle

alfapat

Trial Member
Reaction score
This the third batch with this lovely kit (Citra hops )
First time I’ve used Carbonation drops . Have realised I may not have put enough and didn’t use the advice which was 2 lumps to a 500ml bottle and I gave only put in one. The lumps have been in with the beer 2wks now , at 20/21c . Although after cooling down and has a little fiz it doesn’t last in the glass .
Can I opened and shut the bottles and put in another lump. Which might clear better as well!
What does anyone think please?

Last edited:
I don't think that I would do that myself, but others may have other opinions. If the beer is good, just under carbonated, drink it up, and learn from the experience.
I’ve done two bottles as an experiment!
Also the beer or pale ale as I would better describe it is less clear as I’ve seen . I finished bottling with the last pour off in a smaller bottle (330)with the same sugar as the 500ml and taste and liveliness quite different , this what me made me think of my errors.!

Last edited:
Only if less fizzy is undrinkable. If tolerable, then tolerate it, but the risk of opening and recapping is not terribly high. Decanting to a new bottle seems like too much work though. Only my 2 cents here...

Only if less fizzy is undrinkable. If tolerable, then tolerate it, but the risk of opening and recapping is not terribly high. Decanting to a new bottle seems like too much work though. Only my 2 cents here...
Thank you for replying I will give the two bottles a week in warm temps to see what happens , perhaps I’ll post the end product with a pic for comparison.

sometimes just letting it age longer solves it. I had a pilsner that took 6 weeks.

Are these the drops that you add directly to the bottle? If so, I don't see any downsides to adding another drop, since that was the required amount. Even though it's only been two weeks, the beer won't magically get more sugar to carbonate fully. Luckily, this is a mistake that's easily fixable.

I would uncap, add another drop, recap. Try to minimize oxygen by doing this process quickly and with little disturbance to the bottle.

Back