Boil Time and Hop Stand Time newbie questions

bigdaddy0442

Trial Member
Reaction score
1. When reducing a given recipe from 6 gallons to 3 gallons that calls for a boil time of 90 minutes, should I reduce the boil time proportionally?

2. When a recipe calls for a flavor hop to be added with 0 boil time, how do you know how long the Hop Stand should last?

Thanks in advance for your support and responses. I have gained a great deal of knowledge from this forum.

Bigdaddy9442

1. When reducing a given recipe from 6 gallons to 3 gallons that calls for a boil time of 90 minutes, should I reduce the boil time proportionally?

2. When a recipe calls for a flavor hop to be added with 0 boil time, how do you know how long the Hop Stand should last?

Thanks in advance for your support and responses. I have gained a great deal of knowledge from this forum.

Bigdaddy9442
1. Nope you still boil for 90 . the recipie calculator will use your boil off rate in your brewing profile and adjust boil off with your new batch size.
It should be the same maybe a little more boil off with less volume as the wort will boil harder.

2. It's up to you I do 20mins sometimes 30 mins.

For the hop stand, sometimes I let it sit and 'absorb' for as little as 5 minutes, but 10-30 minutes is typical. The wort is still very hot, so hops will transmogrify and no danger of infections, so as Ben noted, it's up to you.

Transmogrify!
I had to look that up, that is the perfect descriptor!
There is indeed a surprising and magical transformation occurring with hops!
You can optimize the transmogrification by stirring during the hop stand.
The length of time is up to you if the recipe writer did not specify, but 10-20 minutes is a good amount of time.

A bit of additional information for you to consider if you like...
The temperature of the wort, and the length of your hopstand (or whirlpool) will affect the balance between flavor and bitterness added to the beer. A longer flameout hopstand will provide more bitterness than a shorter flameout hopstand. A hopstand at a cooler temperature will theoretically impart less bitterness bitterness, and more flavor. Of course bitterness and flavor are truly only perceived by the drinker, so to get what you are looking for will require some experimentation on your part.

For the hop stand, sometimes I let it sit and 'absorb' for as little as 5 minutes, but 10-30 minutes is typical. The wort is still very hot, so hops will transmogrify and no danger of infections, so as Ben noted, it's up to you.
Do I smell a red dwarf fan? :p

I agree though. Boil in the same.
I use a hop rocket and circthe wort through it just before chilling

Sometimes scientific progress goes boink.

You might lose a bit more during the boil as there is less water to heat up in the first place so it will boil faster, but not enough to stress about.

I usually leave the hops standing until I get impatient and chill anyway, so like 15 seconds? (Nah, 5-20 minutes)

Back