Lactic Acid Addition - for 5 bbl brew

Paul Schiele

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on the water calculator and it automatic recommendation for Lactic acid addition for 5.4 ph. First time doing a large batch like this. Based on the full water report from where we are brewing the calculator is recommending 130mls of Lactic acid for 180 gallons of water. No sparging just total mash water. Thoughts?

Water report attached.

upload_2021-4-30_12-0-52.png

Attachments

• WaterReport 44.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 122
@Yooper could you take this question about the water chemistry calculator?

~86 mL of Lactic Acid are needed whereby to address the Alkalinity of the water, and the rest of the Lactic Acid is likely needed to bring the grist/wort to pH 5.4.

What is needed (in addition to the source water analysis) whereby to assess the correctness of 129.5 mL of 88% Lactic Acid is the component and weight details of the individual constituents of the grist plus the mash and sparge volumes.

What is needed (in addition to the source water analysis) whereby to assess the correctness of 129.5 mL of 88% Lactic Acid is the component and weight details of the individual constituents of the grist plus the mash and sparge volumes.
Thanks Silver, but why does this read like a 19th century lawyer?

Thanks for the feedback. I'm brewing in a Colorado brew system so there is no sparge water. It's basically a big 5 bbl BIAB. I was just concerned I was missing something. It's probably fine. I'll probably add 60ml and then measure the ph. add a little at a time.

Back