Tell me why did you brew today

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
There are the usual reasons to brew beer: loving homebrew, refilling the pipeline, etc., but I want to hear about the occasional "odd" reason that you decided to brew. For instance, today I brewed because there was a huge bag of ice melting in my cooler and I didn't want to buy more ice to brew in a couple days :D

I brew almost exclusively on Mondays, because I always have Monday off from work. A few weeks ago, I brewed on Friday, just because the boss unexpectedly gave me the day off (he let me know on Thursday). On that day, I brewed that batch of Herm’s Amber Ale fermented with Voss that seems to have stalled. This morning I gave the batch a couple spoons full of slurry from a previous batch, and this afternoon there are some widely spaced bubbles through the airlock. I always seem to enjoy my brew days.

This is what I tell my missus love you better make some plans for the weekend you know what my default position is BREWING!:D

I'm over a hundred batches in and I still get excited to get a brew going! Yes Sunfire sometimes I get half way through and think oh this was a bad idea :D.

If I'm bored I start thinking of brewing. First I'll take a time check ok it's 1pm yeah ill easy get a batch done by dinner let's go brew some beer:p.

Sometimes I'll finalise the recipie as the liquor is comming up to temp.

A lot of brews I do are on a whim

For me it is the constant learning, researching, and improving. That and the satisfaction that comes from a successful batch. I also love the brew day, and as long as a brew day can be, once it is in the fermenter I am already thinking of the next brew. I am not a brew on a whim kind of brewer, I plan everything out well ahead of time.

Edit:
After posting and going back to the top, I see that the thread is why did you brew "today", I actually didn't brew today...

For me it is the constant learning, researching, and improving. That and the satisfaction that comes from a successful batch. I also love the brew day, and as long as a brew day can be, once it is in the fermenter I am already thinking of the next brew. I am not a brew on a whim kind of brewer, I plan everything out well ahead of time.

Edit:
After posting and going back to the top, I see that the thread is why did you brew "today", I actually didn't brew today...
No worries all answers accepted :)

Usually brew on the weekends. I plan for it. No interruptions no side jobs, yard work, nothing to get in the way. I enjoy it for the experimentation and the results I get.good or bad

I think I brewed one time when it WASN'T the weekend and like @Bubba Wade, I typically will brew when its raining since I can't get out to do anything else outside like gardening, cutting or splitting wood, cycling, etc.

I didn't brew today specifically, but my general go to is I felt like it. I enjoy the process and I find it really relaxing. Having stock in my garage to do a brew whenever I feel like it really helps.

I normally brew about once a month. I rounded up the supplies for Aharpers pees but had to have a little skin surgery & was warned to take it easy for a week afterwards. Fidget, fidget. It rained all day yesterday but it's warm & sunny today, fidget.
Maybe I will draft my Granddaughter to lift grain & water, everything else is handled with a pulley, fidget, yeah that's it.

I brewed today because I work at my LHBS. So I'm constantly playing with recipes, and am currently enjoying a RYE IPA I made that is pretty damn good (Talus and Eclipse).

However, I still brew at home to this day because I enjoy the time to focus on me, my own system, and do things EXACTLY how I want to.

My new thing is that I throw on Genus Brewing on YouTube, and chill out! :cool:

Back