High OG Porter

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Well I changed my mind and instead of brewing an ESB, I brewed a Porter. Here's my dilemma. The OG in a 2.5 gallon batch is 1.074. Should I pitch the entire packet of Lallemand Windsor or will half suffice? It seems to me I should use the whole thing. Advice please.

Wait for others to chime in, but I would think that it would A) make sense to pitch the whole package, and B) it could possibly hurt pitching the whole pack.
I have never used this yeast, so maybe best to see what others say

I just got this off the Lallemand site.

RESULTS

Yeast needed: 8.75 grams

500g packets required: 1 packets

11g packets required: 1 packets

Pitch the whole thing.
+1

And just remember that Windsor is a quick worker, a quick quitter, and will not attenuate like most yeasts. Anything from 60-70% attenuation is possible, though I would be very surprised if you get 70. You might finish around 1.026 or so, give or take.

That said, Windsor is a great yeast for an English Porter.

I tossed it all in and as of this morning it was jumpimg out of the fermenter (not really) but really cooking!
Keep us posted, please. If Windsor acts for you like it does for me, it will run out of gas in relatively short order, then drop out nicely. It’s like the horse that takes off at the Derby only to finish in 12th. :)

@Megary was correct. The Windsor started out fast and died just as quick. The gravity was 1.074 at the start on Sunday, it was down to 1.050, Monday afternoon and 1.028 yesterday morning. It's been sitting there since. It has completely dropped out. I may keg this tonight or tomorrow after work.

@Megary was correct. The Windsor started out fast and died just as quick. The gravity was 1.074 at the start on Sunday, it was down to 1.050, Monday afternoon and 1.028 yesterday morning. It's been sitting there since. It has completely dropped out. I may keg this tonight or tomorrow after work.
Like clockwork.

I'll bet it turns out delicious. I think Windsor is a great yeast.

Back