What are you doing with homebrew today?

The beauty of A) working mostly from home, and B) have a machine with a pump, timers, etc.
Knocking out the Q2 Dubbel, just doing a mash out step right now, it has been mashing all morning, crystal clear wort!]

Hey Craigerrr....I hope that use for the wife's gravy ladle isn't considered "up-cycling" ?? :rolleyes:;)

Brewing a Milk Stout just doughed in
0A1087BE-9802-4116-AE4F-51E0DE4D066F.jpeg
6CC5819E-ED29-41DB-AA3E-02D6DE2902C5.jpeg
AD806399-4E8A-4871-BCC2-CC261D909898.jpeg

I brewed "Bob Toot's cream ale" (which I think is a recipe from @Yooper herself). Super simple brew. I used US05 because I didn't want to buy liquid yeast online

It is! There is s story there.
My dad was always dismissive of my homebrews. Oh, he supported my hobby and even went on brewery tours with me, went to homebrew stores, and would go to craft beer bars with me and ask for a Budweiser. His favorite beer was Genessee Cream Ale, but sometimes he couldn’t get it when he was out with me.

One year, he and my brother and my brother’s family drove 14 hours to visit us, on a very hot weekend. Picture it- 90 degrees, two kids who HATE being in car seats, my sister-in-law who hates that her kids aren’t happy, and my dad with the kids in the back, my brother driving and my sister-in-law complaining. They pull in, and I meet my dad at the van with a tall glass of cold beer in my hand. My dad, looked at me suspiciously and said, “That ain’t none of your homebrewed shit is it?!?!” and I said “Oh, just drink your beer”. He did, and said, “That’s what I’m talking about!” He and my brother unpacked, relaxed and kicked that keg. My brother really enjoyed it too. My dad said it was “Better than Genny Cream ale!” So that’s the highest compliment I could have received from him.

My dad LOVED that beer. It was the only beer I ever made that he enjoyed, and he did love that one. I made it for him whenever I planned to visit him or he was headed my way. I visited him often in the last 10 years of his life, and always brought as much cream ale for him as I could. (He lived about 750 miles away from me, unfortunately).

His name was Bob Toot- and the guys at homebrewsupply.com kept that name and the story when I shared it with them.

My dad was always dismissive of my homebrews. Oh, he supported my hobby and even went on brewery tours with me, went to homebrew stores, and would go to craft beer bars with me and ask for a Budweiser. His favorite beer was Genessee Cream Ale, but sometimes he couldn’t get it when he was out with me.

One year, he and my brother and my brother’s family drove 14 hours to visit us, on a very hot weekend. Picture it- 90 degrees, two kids who HATE being in car seats, my sister-in-law who hates that her kids aren’t happy, and my dad with the kids in the back, my brother driving and my sister-in-law complaining. They pull in, and I meet my dad at the van with a tall glass of cold beer in my hand. My dad, looked at me suspiciously and said, “That ain’t none of your homebrewed shit is it?!?!” and I said “Oh, just drink your beer”. He did, and said, “That’s what I’m talking about!” He and my brother unpacked, relaxed and kicked that keg. My brother really enjoyed it too. My dad said it was “Better than Genny Cream ale!” So that’s the highest compliment I could have received from him.

My dad LOVED that beer. It was the only beer I ever made that he enjoyed, and he did love that one. I made it for him whenever I planned to visit him or he was headed my way. I visited him often in the last 10 years of his life, and always brought as much cream ale for him as I could. (He lived about 750 miles away from me, unfortunately).

His name was Bob Toot- and the guys at homebrewsupply.com kept that name and the story when I shared it with them.
That’s an awesome story!

Thanks for sharing that story :) the first pint will be for your Pop

Well filled a couple water carboys, brewing a Light American Lager in the morning. Finished weeding the hops I planted last year, I have way more plants than I thought. Evidently the two neglected bines in the top row spread enough that the Cluster has 4 crowns spread out over half of the row and the Sterling has 2 in the far corner. Looks like I'm going to have WAY more in the ground than I intended when I ordered rhizomes. Planting Saaz tomorrow, still waiting on Northern Brewer rhizomes(along with the additional Cluster and Sterling I ordered). But, I guess, who doesn't need like 200 feet of hops row...

Last edited:

=========================================

Well @Yooper no better recommendation than your Dad's so I have added that to my list of beers to make. Thanks for the story. I will think of him when I pour the first one.

Back