Lactofermented pickles

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I put together a batch of cucumbers to hopefully ferment into pickles. Anybody else ferment veggies too?
20210415_150051.jpg

I do! I am actually speaking again this year at HomebrewCon about fermenting veggies, hot sauce, cheese, and kombucha.

I use a 5% brine for some of my pickles, and add calcium chloride (pickle crisp) to mine since I happen to use it for brewing anyway.

I do sauerkraut, pickles, kimchee, carrots, even pickled asparagus. I’ve done beets, but don’t love them fermented as much. I plan on giardiniera soon. My kimchee is my favorite. I even ferment my own gochujang for my kimchee and cooking.

I'm on my second batch of hot sauce right now fermenting away. So far it's done pretty well as I slowly ramp up the heat.

Aw
I do! I am actually speaking again this year at HomebrewCon about fermenting veggies, hot sauce, cheese, and kombucha.

I use a 5% brine for some of my pickles, and add calcium chloride (pickle crisp) to mine since I happen to use it for brewing anyway.

I do sauerkraut, pickles, kimchee, carrots, even pickled asparagus. I’ve done beets, but don’t love them fermented as much. I plan on giardiniera soon. My kimchee is my favorite. I even ferment my own gochujang for my kimchee and cooking.
Awesome! Is that 5% by weight? How much calcium chloride, generally? I used 2 tbsp kosher salt in 1 qt filtered tap water. I have some Littlefinger carrots ready for harvest that I'm going to pickle next :)

Never mind, I found your answer on homebrewtalk :) 1/4 tsp per quart

Never mind, I found your answer on homebrewtalk :) 1/4 tsp per quart

Give or take...............:)

When I do the brine, I weigh the salt. The cukes get a 5% brine, but most things get 3%, depending on what I'm making. I've never done olives but if I could get fresh olives I would- and those are done with a 10% brine.
I used to try using something tannic like grape leaves in the pickles, to keep them crisp, but I didn't like the flavor impact. So the CaCl2 works for me!

Give or take...............:)

When I do the brine, I weigh the salt. The cukes get a 5% brine, but most things get 3%, depending on what I'm making. I've never done olives but if I could get fresh olives I would- and those are done with a 10% brine.
I used to try using something tannic like grape leaves in the pickles, to keep them crisp, but I didn't like the flavor impact. So the CaCl2 works for me!
The recipe I used called for a black tea bag for tannins, next time could I use just CaCl2 instead? Or is it up to personal taste and preference?

The recipe I used called for a black tea bag for tannins, next time could I use just CaCl2 instead? Or is it up to personal taste and preference?

You could do that, or the calcium chloride. But yes, definitely personal preference. I have noticed a flavor impact from the leaves and just didn’t care for it.

I got chili's going....
But they are so hot that I am actually thinking of using it as insecticide :D
IMG_20210308_171833.jpg

I do cucumbers as well.
And sauerkraut. Gotta have sauerkraut

I triied feementing rape, but that didn't work

The pickles are done and I started a batch of carrots with 3% brine, garlic/dill/peppercorns, and 1/4 tsp calcium chloride. The pickles were good, but the recipe needs tweaking. Maybe more garlic and fewer peppercorns, or replacing the black tea bag for calcium chloride.
20210421_151300.jpg

I got chili's going....
View attachment 15312
I do cucumbers as well.

Ah I'd love to have a crack at the Kraut missus Mum is Dutch maybe I can get some brownie point in;);)

She does like my beer so in the clear there:).

Ah I'd love to have a crack at the Kraut missus Mum is Dutch maybe I can get some brownie point in;);)

She does like my beer so in the clear there:).
Sauerkraut is ridiculously easy! Shred your cabbage. Add a tablespoon of salt per pound of cabbage. Pound the cabbage and salt until soupy and the liquid covers the cabbage. Cover the cabbage and weight the cover so it doesn't float, let ferment. If the liquid starts to mold, skim the mold off.

I got chili's going....
View attachment 15312
I do cucumbers as well.

Good to know you’re on you feet doing your thing!

Sauerkraut is ridiculously easy! Shred your cabbage. Add a tablespoon of salt per pound of cabbage. Pound the cabbage and salt until soupy and the liquid covers the cabbage. Cover the cabbage and weight the cover so it doesn't float, let ferment. If the liquid starts to mold, skim the mold off.
Cheers nosey will have a crack .
Hey @Zambezi Special I know Kraut is a German thing but the Dutch love it too right?

For sure!
We call it zuurkool (learn to say it without accent for extra brownie points) which literally means sour cabbage
As compared to sauerkraut, which literally means.....
Sour cabbage :D:D:D

Back