yeast nutrients

I use it for every beer. Some believe it's not necessary, but it provides zinc that the grain doesn't have. Adding bread yeast to the last 10 minutes of the boil works too. Anything to get a good fermentation and good attenuation, that's really what I'm after.

I have some that is years old, I use it occasionally and I can say it doesn't hurt. I can't say with any certainty if it helps though.

I have used it. It seems to make a fair amount of difference with liquid yeasts, not quite as much with dry yeasts.

I have used it. It seems to make a fair amount of difference with liquid yeasts, not quite as much with dry yeasts.
I think that dry has some in it to help get it started

I use it for every beer. Some believe it's not necessary, but it provides zinc that the grain doesn't have. Adding bread yeast to the last 10 minutes of the boil works too. Anything to get a good fermentation and good attenuation, that's really what I'm after.
I think it has a trace of copper too

I use it for high gravity beers! I've read a couple of article's saying it is important.

Whenever I'm not using dry yeast (and I remember).

Got some.
Haven't used it yet though

I throw approximately a tablespoon of this in when I add my whirlfloc

"Yeast Nutrient (Diammonium Phosphate) helps boost fermentations, and restart stuck fermentations"

I know you like cider. There are more advantages using the nutrient for cider as fruit juice doesn't have many of the nutrients that wort has.
exactly. It's not needed for beer imo but wine, cider, mead etc. it's much more common. You can get yeast hulls too and I believe they also provide nutrients without the chemicals.

I'll see if I can locate it and use some in my next batch.
Or I make a split batch. That would be better.

I'm afraid it may be in storage with my brew equipment though
Kveik Vos seems to work fine without it

I'll see if I can locate it and use some in my next batch.
Or I make a split batch. That would be better.

I'm afraid it may be in storage with my brew equipment though
Kveik Vos seems to work fine without it
Do you repitch your kviek there Zambezi if so you might find it will conk out on you.
E.g. i gave some to a rudimentary brew friend of mine not Voss but Hornindal he brewed like crazy even racking up more batches than me.
Then after awhile he would phone me up man I think my brews finishing high. I told him try some bread yeast at the end of the boil nope still struggled to hit low final gravities.

Now I don't know all the sciencey stuff but I think it just gets tired after a fair few slurry repitch generations and a bit of nutrient will help them keep in tip top fermentation shape.

Do you repitch your kviek there Zambezi if so you might find it will conk out on you.
E.g. i gave some to a rudimentary brew friend of mine not Voss but Hornindal he brewed like crazy even racking up more batches than me.
Then after awhile he would phone me up man I think my brews finishing high. I told him try some bread yeast at the end of the boil nope still struggled to hit low final gravities.

Now I don't know all the sciencey stuff but I think it just gets tired after a fair few slurry repitch generations and a bit of nutrient will help them keep in tip top fermentation shape.

I sort of re-pitch. I think re-use is a better term ;)
I bottle my cider and I then straight away throw fresh apple juice onto the trub.
Lazy and primitive :p

I sort of re-pitch. I think re-use is a better term ;)
I bottle my cider and I then straight away throw fresh apple juice onto the trub.
Lazy and primitive :p
As long as it's working for ya.
Yeah maybe that over pitch helps compensate any yeast problems.

Back