Boil Volume Calculation

kkourmousis

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to Brewer's Friend and I am trying to figure out the recipe editor. One thing that I could not understand was what was the "Calc" button doing, concerning the Boil Volume. I was editing my Partial Mash recipe and each time I was pressing the button, the volumes got reduced!

I tried editing an BIAB recipe and the button seems to work solid there. So maybe there is a bug?

One last thing, I read that there is a big update coming regarding the Quick Water and Mash Guidelines. I feel like these two should be connected, but now Mash Guidelines are more like commentary, is this correct? For example, if I want to guide readers of my recipe to top off the batch with water in the fermenter, I find it pretty tricky to do. If I increase the batch size at the top, then the pre-boil volume changes (but this is not what I want).

I hope I explained it good enough, English is not my native language :rolleyes:

Cheers

Your English might not be your home language, but be assured that you communicate perfectly well, better than some who were born here.

Hello everyone,

I am new to Brewer's Friend and I am trying to figure out the recipe editor. One thing that I could not understand was what was the "Calc" button doing, concerning the Boil Volume. I was editing my Partial Mash recipe and each time I was pressing the button, the volumes got reduced!

I tried editing an BIAB recipe and the button seems to work solid there. So maybe there is a bug?

One last thing, I read that there is a big update coming regarding the Quick Water and Mash Guidelines. I feel like these two should be connected, but now Mash Guidelines are more like commentary, is this correct? For example, if I want to guide readers of my recipe to top off the batch with water in the fermenter, I find it pretty tricky to do. If I increase the batch size at the top, then the pre-boil volume changes (but this is not what I want).

I hope I explained it good enough, English is not my native language :rolleyes:

Cheers
Thank you for joining the forums, this is a known issue that one of our developers is working on. There is a pending update that is being reviewed before release.

Your English is good, dont worry about it.

Great, thanks :)

Pricelessbrewing, Ι saw your description and I remembered this good one, a bit off topic, yet not entirely since beer is present:

A QA engineer walks into a bar. Orders a beer. Orders 0 beers. Orders 99999999999 beers. Orders a lizard. Orders -1 beers. Orders a ueicbksjdhd. First real customer walks in and asks where the bathroom is. The bar bursts into flames, killing everyone.

Do you have an equipment profile saved? In my experience the preboil and post boil estimates were better when I used my equipment profile (should be a drop down menu below the "calc" button. And the equipment profiles are under the "My Brewing" menu)

Yes I do. In BIAB it works perfectly, except if I want to lower the ABV, so I have to dilute it by topping of and I have this problem

if I want to guide readers of my recipe to top off the batch with water in the fermenter, I find it pretty tricky to do. If I increase the batch size at the top, then the pre-boil volume changes (but this is not what I want).

Pricelessbrewing, Ι saw your description and I remembered this good one, a bit off topic, yet not entirely since beer is present:

A QA engineer walks into a bar. Orders a beer. Orders 0 beers. Orders 99999999999 beers. Orders a lizard. Orders -1 beers. Orders a ueicbksjdhd. First real customer walks in and asks where the bathroom is. The bar bursts into flames, killing everyone.
Yes. This is my life. Thanks everyone for asking where the bathroom is! :confused:

That is funny!
Unless it was meant to be serious, in that case it is funny!

The point is, test all you want, there's always an edge case to ruin your day...

Back